Mobileread
Is there a standard format for library eBooks?
#11  edembowski 03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote asjogren
The encryption scheme is already known. Creating a "new" MobiPocket ID and registering it with your library is not a problem - I already registered my Kindle.
A sane person may take this approach. Unfortunately, the authors and supporters of the DMCA to not take this position, and anyone making a 3rd party implementation would face legal problems. This is one of those things where there is not a great deal of case law to support or reject the implementation, but I strongly suspect that it would not go well. In any case, there will be a legal problem.

If any of these (future) eReaders is straight Linux and supports WINE and is/or emulates Intel, then a real MobiPocket Reader can be installed.
This would be another good way to go, but software distribution would be a problem. The user would need to follow some type of procedure to get the software installed (the 3rd party could not redistribute the app without a license).

- Ed

#12  Joykins 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I've seen epub, pdf, and mobi.

My nook can handle the epub and pdf just fine, and the fact is they don't have anything in mobi that they don't have in pdf in the libraries I use.

#13  Sydney's Mom 03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Chicago Public Library has pdf, epub and mobi. Epub seems to be taking the lead. I read all 3 on my kindle, and don't worry about the fact that I use something to break DRM in order to get them in a format my kindle will read. I actually would enjoy being the defendant in a "Kindle user reads library books!" copyright suit.

#14  guyanonymous 03-06-2010, 10:04 AM
A little graphic illustration about why DRM doesn't work (one of many out there)....this one applies to libraries and Overdrive.

p.s., is there a way to have your attached images display inline in your text?
why_drm_doesnt_work.jpg 

#15  Jim Lester 03-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote guyanonymous
A little graphic illustration...
If you are going to repost the guy's work, the least you could do is to give him credit. This work came from Brad Colbow: http://www.bradcolbow.com/archive.php/?p=205

#16  guyanonymous 03-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Considering I didn't find it on his site or with any reference to his site, and his name isn't on the art at all, that's kinda hard. But thanks for assuming I'd purposely shunned the (to me) unknown artist.

But thanks for the link to his site, as I'll check it out in the future.

#17  Jim Lester 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Google to the rescue http://www.google.com/search?q="Why+DRM+Doesn't+Work"+graphic
First hit (and most of the others) will get you to attributed inclusions.

Edit: But looking through the list there seems to be plenty of other unattributed placements as well. Sorry it's a peeve.

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register