Mobileread
Hubert's making me re-write the whole story.
#1  skb 07-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Which, is really Hitch's fault (for Hubert). Maybe not for the re-write, but I'm not above scapegoating where required.

So, remember the happy days when the biggest issue I saw with my story was the name of an unseen, but talked about character who didn't have a suitable name? Ah, those were, in fact, the days.

I've gone back to the story after letting it settle (rot) and now that I read it I realize that my main character was not funny (what I intended) but rather was a bit of a dick (unintended). A big bit.

I blame Hubert. Things were fine until he blundered into the story.

Anyway, I'm keeping Hubert (even though he's never seen and everyone talks about him) but jettisoning large parts of the "MC is a dick" sections.

But no hurry to re-write. I mean, why should I rush...it's only been 10 years since I started this "#metoo" car crash.

Onwards!

#2  gmw 08-08-2019, 12:44 AM
Humour can be hard to get right - and a lot of humour tends to be B-Sharp-ish. (A description extracted from The Simpsons "Barbershop Quartet" episode: Skinner: 'Er, um, we need a name that's witty at first, but that seems less funny each time you hear it.' Apu: 'How about, "The Be Sharps?"') It's easy to run out of beta-readers trying to gain that all important first reaction. Of course the best text works on revisits too - even if it might only be a smile rather than a chuckle.

But there is also the mood thing. I can read the exact same text on different days and on some days I'm convinced it works, and on others I am sure it is compete and utter s... rubbish. I generally figure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. There is always the chance that my moods swing a bit wider than perhaps they should, but that's a problem for later.

#3  skb 08-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Writng (Dying) is easy. Comedy is difficult. So said either Edmund Gwynn or perhaps 52435 other actors.

Ironically (probably Alannis Morisette's type of irony), I actually have this whole story worked out in my head. This is not my "normal" (I usually just wing it).

But yes, mood Mr W, is the thing. And in the ten years since I've started this cludge, times have changed and so have I. My main character is a creep.

Not Hubert though. Hubert is fine.

MC will just have to be rewritten. It's his own fault. The creep.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register