Mobileread
New Leaf June 2019 Discussion • The Riddle of the Labyrinth by Margalit Fox
#41  gmw 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Quote issybird
Kober was her own worst enemy. [...]
Definitely. I got the impression she was afraid of taking risks, so she only published things she felt confident of. Ventris, while on his high-notes rather than depressive episodes, took risks. Many of his ideas turned out wrong, but eventually he found one that worked. Kober should have realised that this is one of the ways science works, and why peer review is part of the process. Ventris took advantage of that, Kober did not.

That said, I guess being a woman in at that time, the risks of getting it wrong were probably higher than they were to Ventris. Finding the right trade-off cannot have been easy.

#42  Victoria 06-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Quote fantasyfan
. One thing that surprised me was that the book seemed to make much of the mystery concerning the destruction of Knossos. I thought it was reasonably accepted that the Minoan Civilisation was destroyed by the massive Santorini eruption.

https://www.sciencealert.com/tree-ring-radiocarbon-dating-minoan-volcano-catastrophic-eruption-thera

and

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/santorini/minoan-eruption/size.html
Thanks for the articles fantacyfan. In our connected world now, it’s exciting to see how one completely different branch of science helps elucidate questions in another.

Knossos was destroyed by the eruption. However the site was destroyed and rebuilt several times. I think the mystery the author was referring to, took place after after the eruption, called the late bronze age collapse.

I found the sequencing in the book a bit confusing but I understood that the Minoans built Knossos and had a flourishing society, with a written language. The Greek Mycenaeans invaded Crete and took over the Knossos site after the Minoans were destroyed. (I assume by the eruption, but I don’t remember her referencing this?) Not having their own writing, they used the Minoan’s system to compose the Linear B tablets that Evans found.

However, the Greek Mycenaeans were only at Knossos for a short time before they were toppled too. Apparently many civilizations across the Mediterranean, Middle East and North Africa mysteriously collapsed in the late bronze age. Scholars don’t have a lot of information, but some extant accounts referred to an invasion of an unidentified ‘sea peoples’.

I first read about it in “The Bible Unearthed”, which I picked up after seeing a PBS NOVA series by the same name. https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Unearthed-Archaeologys-Vision-Ancient-ebook/dp/B000FBJG86/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Bible+Unearthed&qid=156095 5479&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

It seems that many advances made by those societies were completely lost, and people were plunged into a prolonged dark age.

#43  fantasyfan 06-20-2019, 07:04 AM
Good points, Victoria, thank you.

#44  CRussel 06-24-2019, 01:50 PM
Just checking in. I'm afraid I'm going to end up passing this month. Family health issues continue, and I just don't have time or energy to read non-fiction, no matter how much I was looking forward to this book. I expect I'll circle back around to it at some point, but not really in time to be much of a part of this discussion. My apologies to the group, but "Necessity Exists" (Victoria will get the reference, at least. )

#45  Bookpossum 06-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Best wishes for all the health issues to be resolved quickly Charlie.

I think we were all pretty much in agreement on this book, so there probably isn’t anything much more to say about it, unless someone comes up with a new angle!

#46  Dazrin 06-25-2019, 12:01 AM
Sorry to hear that things haven't picked up for your family Charlie. Hopefully they will soon.

#47  Victoria 06-25-2019, 04:06 PM
Quote CRussel
Just checking in. I'm afraid I'm going to end up passing this month. Family health issues continue, and I just don't have time or energy to read non-fiction, no matter how much I was looking forward to this book. I expect I'll circle back around to it at some point, but not really in time to be much of a part of this discussion. My apologies to the group, but "Necessity Exists" (Victoria will get the reference, at least. )
Perfectly understood. Sending you best wishes Charlie, and hoping there’s relief in sight for your family.

#48  CRussel 06-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Well, some improvement in the medical issues, but now we have a wildfire 600 metres from our house. Mostly vertical metres but still pretty dicey. They've been working it since yesterday evening, but it is not listed as contained, yet. So far, we're not on evacuation alert, but some of our neighbours are. I'm pulling current backups to an external 9TB Seagate drive, just in case. That and my Surface Book 2 will go in the evacuation kit.

So far, this has NOT been a good month!

ETA: Fire is contained and evacuation alert is cancelled. Whew!

#49  astrangerhere 06-27-2019, 07:16 AM
Quote CRussel
Well, some improvement in the medical issues, but now we have a wildfire 600 metres from our house. Mostly vertical metres but still pretty dicey. They've been working it since yesterday evening, but it is not listed as contained, yet. So far, we're not on evacuation alert, but some of our neighbours are. I'm pulling current backups to an external 9TB Seagate drive, just in case. That and my Surface Book 2 will go in the evacuation kit.

So far, this has NOT been a good month!

ETA: Fire is contained and evacuation alert is cancelled. Whew!
At least you updated your backups! Glad you are safe and sound.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register