Mobileread
How to sync Google Play Books reading position on Kindle?
#1  itm 05-20-2019, 11:02 AM
I have most of my books in Google Play Books, and mostly use the Play Books app to read them on my Kindle Fire HD6. Occasionally I don't have the Kindle with me, but want to continue reading my current book on my phone (using the Play Books app). The problem is that the phone doesn't usually know the last reading position, and I can't find a way to force the Play Books app to synchronise my current reading position on the Kindle so that I can resume reading on my phone.
Does anyone know how to force a Play Books sync on the Kindle?

#2  barryem 05-20-2019, 10:49 PM
I don't use Play Books so I don't know if it can sync but I do read on various devices and I've found syncing myself using search is pretty simple. It's also faster than my Kindle can sync automatically, although it isn't as easy.

When I end a reading session I pick a short phrase from near the top of the page and remember it. Then I use text search on the next device to find my place. The phrase for my last session is "He's never been here". Probably if I have to use text search I'll just search for "never been here". A simple short phrase like that will usually be found up to 3 times in the book but text search gives enough context that I can almost always recognize the right one at a glance. And it's not hard to remember a phrase like that.

I often go between my Kindle and Moon+ reader. Syncing between Moon+ reader on 2 devices is faster than I can type the phrase. Typing is, though, is faster than 2 of my Kindles can synch themselves.

Barry

#3  HarryT 05-21-2019, 03:08 AM
Please ask questions about the Fire in the Fire forum, to where I'm moving this.

#4  itm 05-21-2019, 05:32 AM
Quote barryem
I don't use Play Books so I don't know if it can sync but I do read on various devices and I've found syncing myself using search is pretty simple. It's also faster than my Kindle can sync automatically, although it isn't as easy.

When I end a reading session I pick a short phrase from near the top of the page and remember it. Then I use text search on the next device to find my place. The phrase for my last session is "He's never been here". Probably if I have to use text search I'll just search for "never been here". A simple short phrase like that will usually be found up to 3 times in the book but text search gives enough context that I can almost always recognize the right one at a glance. And it's not hard to remember a phrase like that.

I often go between my Kindle and Moon+ reader. Syncing between Moon+ reader on 2 devices is faster than I can type the phrase. Typing is, though, is faster than 2 of my Kindles can synch themselves.

Barry
Yes I have used that method in the past, but I can often go for several weeks without reading, by which time I've completely forgotten the phrase (and I'm not organised enough to write it down!).
Would Moonreader+ sync between 2 devices? (i.e. the Fire HD and my Android phone)? Does that have an option to manually request a sync, so that I can do it whenever I stop reading on each device?

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register