Mobileread
MobileRead Online book club?
#1  PsyDocJoanne 10-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone,

So last night I was updating my husband on the latest at MobileRead (I'm his never ending source for all ebook news, despite the fact that he's only marginally interested in ebooks...it's just his lot in life ).

Anyway, I mentioned that Bob and I might try reading a book at the same time, and told my husband that I had posted a thread inviting others to do so as well.

He said to me, "Oh, like an online book club?". I hadn't thought of it that way, but it got me thinking. My sister in law has been in a book club for ages--they read one agreed-upon book per month, and then meet once a month to discuss it (and they also eat all kinds of delicious foodstuffs while they discuss, which is irrelevant, since we're on a message board ).

I started wondering if there's ever been anything similar tried here on MobileRead, and if not, whether there would be any interest in starting one. I would love to do it...and it could be as simple as a couple of threads...one for choosing the book each month, and one for discussing the book after we're done reading it.

If there's enough interest, I'd be more than happy to kind of organize it and get the ball rolling. Let me know!

#2  rixte 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I'd definitely be interested, even if I couldn't always participate!

#3  pilotbob 10-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Sounds like fun.

#4  Elsi 10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I haven't been a member of MobileRead long enough to know whether or not this has been tried here. But, we certainly do this on my book swapping forum. There are a couple of "read-alongs" going on over there right now.

I like the idea and find that including a book club book is a great way to motivate myself to read something that is not my usual genre. If it becomes popular, I'd suggest running one with a classic downloadable from MobileRead and maybe another with a contemporary novel -- and I hope it would be one available for a reasonable price in the major formats.

#5  ShortNCuddlyAm 10-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I'd be interested

#6  rab46 10-09-2008, 07:15 PM
You could count me in.

#7  astrodad 10-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Lemme know if something gets organized. I'm in.

#8  Kokomo Lee 10-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I would be interested!

#9  izmi 10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Sounds like a cool idea to me. Might get me reading outside my comfort zone, which I like to do, but rarely actually do.

#10  pshrynk 10-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I'd be interested.

Next »  Last »  (1/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register