Mobileread
New "Inspector George Gently" ebooks
#1  HarryT 11-23-2013, 09:25 AM
If there are any other readers of this forum who enjoy Alan Hunter's "Inspector Gently" series, it may be of interest to note that three more books in the series were released (in the UK, at least) as ebooks today: "Gently Where She Lay", "Gently French", and "Gently in Trees" (numbers 18-20, respectively). The publisher is releasing a new batch of ebooks every few months, very nicely formatted.

A series I very much enjoy, and bearing little resemblance to the TV adaptation.

#2  Apache 11-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Quote HarryT
If there are any other readers of this forum who enjoy Alan Hunter's "Inspector Gently" series, it may be of interest to note that three more books in the series were released (in the UK, at least) as ebooks today: "Gently Where She Lay", "Gently French", and "Gently in Trees" (numbers 18-20, respectively). The publisher is releasing a new batch of ebooks every few months, very nicely formatted.

A series I very much enjoy, and bearing little resemblance to the TV adaptation.
Thank you for the heads up. My UK Account comes in handy again.
Apache

#3  HarryT 11-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Is this series not available in the US, Apache?

#4  Synamon 11-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Quote HarryT
Is this series not available in the US, Apache?
Yes, they are available in the US (Canada as well). There are a few great Kobo coupons floating around, so I bought the omnibus of the first 4 books for $0.54 with 95comic since I've enjoyed watching the miniseries on Netflix. My public library (Overdrive) has the three books mentioned in this thread, so I added them to my wishlist and will get them from there eventually.

#5  speakingtohe 11-23-2013, 03:45 PM
I actually enjoyed the TV series. Still it is good if the books are different so I won't think I have read them already.

Helen

#6  HarryT 11-23-2013, 04:10 PM
I too enjoy it very much indeed, Helen. I was simply commenting that it was very different to the books.

#7  Apache 11-23-2013, 04:42 PM
I have been buying them from the UK site. I never bothered to checked Amazon US.
Apache

#8  speakingtohe 11-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Quote HarryT
I too enjoy it very much indeed, Helen. I was simply commenting that it was very different to the books.
I misunderstood
A lot of books I enjoy the TV series and vice versa. A lot I find one or the other less enjoyable. Mostly I am good with BBC or A&E adaptations, others not so much.

Helen

#9  HarryT 11-24-2013, 08:39 AM
I should have been clearer in my post . As you rightly say, some TV adaptations work, some don't. "Morse" worked outstandingly well; "Inspector Lynley" very poorly, to my mind. I think the "George Gently" TV series works extremely well; I just wanted to warn people that (other than the name of the main character) it has virtually no connection with the books, unlike, say, "Morse", where the TV adaptation is pretty faithful to the books.

#10  ngrant 02-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Available for pre-order to be released on March 6 are:

Gently Where the Birds Are
Gently With Love
Gently Instrumental

Price is $7.89 at Kobo US, $9.57/9.59 at Amazon.com.
Got all the previous ones at Kobo with coupons but pre-orders do not seem to accept coupons. The Paypal payment option seems to have disappeared from the US checkout and any Kobo purchase on my credit card generates a suspected-fraud phone call from my bank so that has become a nuisance.

[edit]
Gently Sinking will be available April 3, 2014 on Amazon US price $9.55

Next »  Last »  (1/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register