Mobileread
Summary of Modified Fonts
#411  stuartjmz 10-23-2018, 06:44 PM
Quote patrik
Hmm, this is a pretty strange font that supposidly helps the brain retain the information read. If true, it may be helpful while reading non-fiction.

Maybe some of you font experts know how to make it e-ink/kobo friendly?

http://sansforgetica.rmit/
The articles I've read about this font, the creators specifically said they would not recommend putting an entire book in it, just key phrases and passges that were deemed worthy of special remembrance. Like a "highlight" font.

#412  JeanPierre 01-22-2019, 06:38 AM
I just discovered Literata Book on fontsquirrel: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book

I'm using the ttf that results from running it through the Kobify Fonts script. It looks like this version of Literata has had the line height adjusted. With Literata I was using a line spacing setting of 0.9. With Literata Book this is equivalent to a 1.1. Some strangeness with letter alignment of bold fonts seems to have been fixed too.

#413  hfpop 01-23-2019, 03:59 AM
@JeanPierre, could you share the Literata Book fonts you got through Kobify Fonts? Thank you!

#414  JeanPierre 01-23-2019, 04:19 AM
Quote hfpop
@JeanPierre, could you share the Literata Book fonts you got through Kobify Fonts? Thank you!
Hi hfpop,

Please find the font attached, as requested.

For your information, below is the command I executed in the command line to produce the attached ttf fonts.

Code
python KoboifyFonts-0.3.1.py -r ../fonts/raw/LiterataBook.otf -i ../fonts/raw/LiterataBook-Italic.otf -b ../fonts/raw/LiterataBook-Bold.otf -B ../fonts/raw/LiterataBook-BoldItalic.otf -s -k -p -d ./out/ 'Literata Book'
Once again, the input otf files used were obtained from https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book. It includes regular, medium, semibold and bold weights of the standard and italic Literata Book typeface. You could experiment with setting different weights for the regular and bold inputs to the KoboifyFonts scripts if you want to get a different balance to the regular and bold font weights, though I've observed some aberrations with my own experiments with this and find the standard balance to be spot on.
[zip] Literata-Book.zip (1.82 MB, 244 views)

#415  fogice 03-06-2019, 12:22 PM
How can I tell which of all of these fonts have ligatures? I'm not a font expert, but I want to find a good reading font that will typeset well with KFX files.

#416  JeanPierre 03-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Quote fogice
How can I tell which of all of these fonts have ligatures? I'm not a font expert, but I want to find a good reading font that will typeset well with KFX files.
I examined the fonts using FontForge. Once opened within, you can navigate the menu as follows to examine ligatures, kern pairs, and anchored pairs: View > Combinations.

When establishing whether kerning and ligatures have been displayed correctly on my Kobo reader I look at specific letter combinations. With Literata Book—my font of choice–I proceed for ligatures by looking for for the tell-tale fi, fl and ff combinations. To check kerning is working correctly, I find the most obvious combinations to be a capitalised W or Y followed by a lowercase letter as in "York" or "Word". When kerning is working correctly, you can see the rightmost part of the Y or W overhanging the lowercase letter.

#417  davidfor 03-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Quote fogice
You would be better to ask that question in the Kindle forums. It isn't just the font, but the renderer that needs to be considered. The KFX renderer will be different from either of the renderers that Kobo uses.

#418  DNSB 03-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Quote JeanPierre
I just discovered Literata Book on fontsquirrel: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book

I'm using the ttf that results from running it through the Kobify Fonts script. It looks like this version of Literata has had the line height adjusted. With Literata I was using a line spacing setting of 0.9. With Literata Book this is equivalent to a 1.1. Some strangeness with letter alignment of bold fonts seems to have been fixed too.
For my tastes, Literata and Literata Book are annoying to read with. If nothing else, look at a "The". For me, the ascender height is too much larger than the cap height (the h sticks too far above the top of the T in my example) and the ascender heights are uneven— the “b”, “d”, “f”, “h”, “k”, “l” and “t” should have the same height (use the to see this effect).

« First  « Prev   (42/42)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register