Mobileread
Kindle Fire Tips & Tricks & How-To's
#1  poohbear_nc 11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Folks - start posting your discoveries here so everyone will have a common place!

#2  sirmaru 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM
My first tip:

When you receive your Fire perform the following steps first:

1. Connect to your WiFi.
2. Register your unit with Amazon if it is not already registered with them.
3. Charge your unit for four hours.
4. Check under settings if you have firmware version 6.0.0 or 6.1.0. If you have the former version, go here to update to the latter version:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k6_updatesi?nodeId=200790620
5. Have fun !

#3  xari 11-15-2011, 06:35 PM
To remove an icon (including IMDb) from the Favorites shelf, press down and hold the icon. After a moment, a pop-up will appear with the option to 'Remove from Favorites'.

#4  xari 11-15-2011, 06:38 PM
To remove a bookmark from the Silk browser, press down and hold the bookmark. After a moment, a pop-up will appear with various options, the last being 'Delete'.

#5  Blossom 11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
To get sideloaded books to show up in the carousel you need to remove the pdoc tag from the mobi book.

You can do this in Calibre.

From Calibre's Book Conversion window click on MOBI output
Find the box that says Personal Doc Tag: [pdoc]
Delete [pdoc] from the box and reconvert book.
It should now show up with your other books on the Fire.

You can set Calibre to permanently do this in
Preferences/Output options/MOBI output.
Delete [pdoc] from the box and click apply at the top.

Note: If you don't care about the books showing up in the carousel then just email them to your Kindle. This will use the Personal Documents Cloud and you will be able synch those without modifying them in Calibre.

#6  sirmaru 11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Does anyone know how to add songs to a playlist in the Fire? I named the playlist but cannot figure out how to add my songs from the device (I had copied some from my PC)?

#7  TomF 11-15-2011, 09:29 PM
The Fire comes with Quickoffice pre-installed and there doesn't appear to be any way to remove it even if you have Quickoffice Pro installed.

If you open the pre-installed version of Quickoffice there is an option to update. Pressing this button and clicking Buy Now will take you to the Amazon App Store. Since you've already purchased Quickoffice Pro it will have an option to Open. Doing this does nothing to "update" the pre-installed version and doesn't remove it.

#8  Blossom 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Quote TomF
The Fire comes with Quickoffice pre-installed and there doesn't appear to be any way to remove it even if you have Quickoffice Pro installed.

If you open the pre-installed version of Quickoffice there is an option to update. Pressing this button and clicking Buy Now will take you to the Amazon App Store. Since you've already purchased Quickoffice Pro it will have an option to Open. Doing this does nothing to "update" the pre-installed version and doesn't remove it.
Call Kindle Support. I don't think it can be removed but maybe they know something I don't.

#9  Strether 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Quote Blossom
You can set Calibre to permanently do this in
Preferences/Output options/MOBI output.
Delete [pdoc] from the box and click apply at the top.
What are the ramifications of doing this in regards to your other e-readers?

Jim

#10  Blossom 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Quote Strether
What are the ramifications of doing this in regards to your other e-readers?

Jim
It wont see the books are pdocs if you remove the tags on the other readers. Not sure of synching issue. Best bet is just email the docs to your Kindle. They wont show up in your carousel but they will still synch on your other "real" Kindles but not Kindle apps.

Next »  Last »  (1/47)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register