Mobileread
"Unfortunately, com.nook.partner has stopped" Glowlight 3
#1  hank 03-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Well, now what's this new madness?

Popped up after I'd had the Nook set aside for a while with a book open.

The only option offered was 'OK" and that didn't dismiss the larger popup message box that says "Unfortunately, com.nook.partner has stopped"

Trying to power cycle the Nook finally got it to restart -- although the "Unfortunately" box stays on top so even selecting shutdown was hard to accomplish.

The only mention I find of that error message is from someone who was renaming files and, as he put it, bricked his Nook but it wouldn't even be useful as a brick.

This stuff worries me. Did BN lay off their Nook programmer, or is she or he still working on this operating system?

#2  Calenorn 03-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Hello Hank,

I wouldn't worry too much about that error. I'm no expert, but it sounds like one of the background processes got hung up. Short of turning the device off, some other things to try would be a long press on the "n" button (as if to turn the light on or off), or to sync the device. I don't know if other android devices are so touchy, but I try to remember that this little gadget isn't a PC.

#3  ZodWallop 03-05-2018, 10:07 AM
My experience with the Nook ST tells me that this current iteration of Nook software is just buggy.

My old Nook more stable than my Kobo. And while I haven't had the problems others have had with the Glowlight 3, it is very slow when not in a book and I have had issues with it jumping back to home right after opening a book.

I can't help but wonder if the bugginess in their current software has to do with their behind the scenes financial woes.

#4  rcentros 03-06-2018, 12:17 AM
Quote ZodWallop
My experience with the Nook ST tells me that this current iteration of Nook software is just buggy.

My old Nook more stable than my Kobo. And while I haven't had the problems others have had with the Glowlight 3, it is very slow when not in a book and I have had issues with it jumping back to home right after opening a book.

I can't help but wonder if the bugginess in their current software has to do with their behind the scenes financial woes.
I'm a bit worried about that too. I was surprised when suggestions resulted in changes in the software (got rid of partitioning at any rate), but (just following along) it doesn't look like the software is quite finished on the GlowLight 3. My "Shop Goodwill" NST (that I gave to my son) updated to 1.2.2 (from 1.2.1) on its own (which was a small shock, after all this time) but I haven't turned WiFi on with my old NST or NST w/ GL since then. I don't want to take a chance of acquiring bugs on an OS that has been solid for years, especially since I don't know what the upgrade was supposed to have "fixed." I've also read that the new upgrade to GlowLight Plus has resulted in unwanted changes.

#5  GoodCompany 03-06-2018, 02:28 AM
Yes, I got this message for the first time yesterday. It was right after I sideloaded a book and I assumed it had something to do with that. Powered off and on and fine. Even with its bugs (and sluggishness), I love this ereader, easily my favorite so far.

#6  raindog89 03-06-2018, 04:19 PM
I've said this before, but I can only assume that the bugginess of the Nook Glowlight 3 software is due to the masking and unmasking of the partitions. Since I was one of the folks pestering them to open up the storage, I guess I have myself (at least partly) to blame.
And I do worry about the recent round of layoffs and the effect on the software team.
But B&N does seem to have a soft spot for the nook, and it stays on, even though I doubt it is a money maker for them.

#7  Pajamaman 03-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Its flaky for sure. It is no succesor to the NST. It just looks like it.

#8  barryem 03-06-2018, 05:09 PM
I agree that the Glowlight 3 is a bit slow and buggy and at this point I'm not sure it'll get any better. It's still a nice reading device. There are problems and limitations but nothing that detracts from the reading experience, at least so far.

I think I'm going to keep the Wifi off on mine so that if there are any more updates I can read reviews of them before I consider installing them. With my Kobos and Kindles I always just install the updates and don't worry. In the past I've done that with my Nooks as well but I think I'll stop that now. I have no other need for the Wifi anyway.

Barry

#9  ZodWallop 03-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Quote barryem
I agree that the Glowlight 3 is a bit slow and buggy and at this point I'm not sure it'll get any better. It's still a nice reading device. There are problems and limitations but nothing that detracts from the reading experience, at least so far.
I'm with you there. It doesn't have the best OS, but I do like the reading experience.

#10  tiltowait 03-16-2018, 06:37 PM
Ditto. I've been reading on it exclusively instead of my KA1.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register