Mobileread
Please Use More Modern Kindle Formats
#41  pdurrant 05-17-2019, 02:19 AM
Quote GrannyGrump
I have often made a "modernized" version of an ebook that was originally posted as OLD mobi or .lit or .prc or .lrf. Particularly books posted 5 years ago or more.

I interpret the guidelines about "value added" that it is perfectly fine to create a more modern format, and UPLOAD TO A NEW THREAD.

Personally, I don't agree with the idea of attaching other formats to the OP thread. Those additional files would have a hard time staying in the public eye. They will NOT be listed in the Ebook Index, and could only be found by Searching for the book title.

Moderators are welcome to scold me, and tell me I am wrong. (been wrong before, and I am still not too old to be wrong again )
It sounds to me like you're doing things right.

#42  BookCat 05-17-2019, 02:55 AM
Quote JSWolf
That may or may not work properly. If there is an ePub, that should be the source for the KF8. If it is only mobi, then it would need to be converted and checked for any formatting that should be fixed due to limitations in the mobi format. And things like paragraph spaces would need to go.

So this may not be as simple as convert and post. There may be more work needed to make it a proper mobileread version. We don't do sloppy and a convert and go of a mobi > KF8 may be sloppy if not checked and maybe edited.

And finally there's the issue of getting this conversion added to the first post of the thread especially if the owner is no longer with us (both ways).
Now that I prefer azw3, I always download the epub for conversion. I learned this was preferable in a Calibre thread. Unfortunately, I've noticed there are many books not available in epub in mobileread's library. For example, I was recently looking for an English version of Hans Christian Anderson's Fairy Tales; while there are German versions in epub there was no English translation, so I had to download the prc format.

I've found this to be the case with quite a few books.

#43  DaleDe 05-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Quote BookCat
Now that I prefer azw3, I always download the epub for conversion. I learned this was preferable in a Calibre thread. Unfortunately, I've noticed there are many books not available in epub in mobileread's library. For example, I was recently looking for an English version of Hans Christian Anderson's Fairy Tales; while there are German versions in epub there was no English translation, so I had to download the prc format.

Yes, as of today we have 8999 mobi books in the library. ePub shows 10215 books but more than 3250 of them are German. Of course mobi has been around a lot longer than ePub.

Dale

#44  lumpynose 05-17-2019, 02:25 PM
Quote BookCat

Project Gutenberg? This page is also useful:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

For classics and ideas of what else to read these can be useful:

https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/
https://www.epubbooks.com/

For new and old:

https://manybooks.net/

#45  BookCat 05-17-2019, 09:24 PM
Lumpynose: of those, the manybooks site is well known to me, I often visit for ideas about what to read, then come here to see if anyone has done a mobileread conversion; the books are always better from here (and would be greatly improved if we weren't using OLD mobi.)

#46  lumpynose 08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
What's the reason for not allowing uploads of kindle books in the kfx format? It's possible to make them using the calibre kfx output plugin. It's slightly complicated because you have to run calibre in command line mode but it's doable.

#47  j.p.s 08-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Quote lumpynose
What's the reason for not allowing uploads of kindle books in the kfx format? It's possible to make them using the calibre kfx output plugin. It's slightly complicated because you have to run calibre in command line mode but it's doable.
I don't think they are specifically not allowed so much as they have not yet been added to the set of permitted file extensions. If you gzip it and attach the .gz file that would work. (And the reason they haven't been added is probably that no one has asked.)

#48  lumpynose 08-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Quote j.p.s
I don't think they are specifically not allowed so much as they have not yet been added to the set of permitted file extensions. If you gzip it and attach the .gz file that would work. (And the reason they haven't been added is probably that no one has asked.)
Ok, thanks. Hopefully an admin will see this and add that extension to the list.

Gzip would be handy for linux but for Windows users I'd think that zip would be more useful. Dunno about the Mac.

#49  JSWolf 08-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Quote lumpynose
Ok, thanks. Hopefully an admin will see this and add that extension to the list.

Gzip would be handy for linux but for Windows users I'd think that zip would be more useful. Dunno about the Mac.
I hope not. KFX is awful. Just upload a really good ePub & KF8 and let everyone convert using Calibre.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register