Mobileread
New Tolino Shine 3 - a Kobo Clara clone?
#11  Nate the great 10-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Quote rcentros
Okay, so where does Longshine come in? They're also based in Taiwan and are listed as the manufacturer of the Tolinos in the German Wikis for the devices? In Germany and Italy, Longshine also services the Tolinos. Does this mean that Longshine is a "go-between" for Netronix and Tolino? Maybe they're the ones who develop the firmware?

I was able to find a Netronix EB-600 (and even a Pocketbook 301+), an eSlick Foxit (and many others) — I wonder how many there were based on this design? it looks like Netronix still builds modern eReaders under their name as well.

Sorry to ramble.
I am not quite sure the relationship between Longshine and Netronix, but I do know that Netronix makes both Kobo and B&N hardware.

#12  rcentros 10-14-2018, 05:37 PM
Quote Nate the great
I am not quite sure the relationship between Longshine and Netronix, but I do know that Netronix makes both Kobo and B&N hardware.
Doing a little research I saw that one of the bigwigs at Netronix also has some kind of position at Longshine. But that could just be coincidence, I would imagine businessmen in Taiwan routinely sit on several corporate boards — like they do in the U.S. I'm guessing Longshine is probably the company that writes the firmware for the Tolinos. It might not even be the main company, it might just be their German branch, Longshine Technologie GmbH.

https://www.longshine.de/index.php/en/tolino-eng-reader

#13  JSWolf 10-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Why would we want a Reader that doesn't understand indents?

image »

#14  DNSB 10-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Quote JSWolf
I don't know about your Tolino but my Tolino epos understands that the first paragraph in a chapter is not indented and the remaining paragraphs are indented. Ooopppssss... actually that is set by the stylesheet and here I was thinking it was reading my mind.
screenshot_20181014_160006.png 

#15  rcentros 10-15-2018, 01:47 AM
Quote JSWolf
It handles indents fine. I don't know why they're showing a book without them or without spaces between the paragraphs.

Here's a hands-on review. Definitely shows indents. (You have to get about half-way through the video before the reviewer finally turns it on.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV-JQpSMaRQ

#16  davidfor 10-15-2018, 01:59 AM
Quote JSWolf
In that case you had better return your Kobo. After all, why would anyone want an ereader that puts big gaps between paragraphs:

image »

And it also doesn't indents!

#17  DNSB 10-15-2018, 11:49 PM
Quote davidfor
And it also doesn't indents!
On a more serious note, perhaps Jon was unaware that German language books generally do not use paragraph indents. Blame Jan Tschichold.

#18  beedaddy 10-16-2018, 01:37 AM
Quote DNSB
On a more serious note, perhaps Jon was unaware that German language books generally do not use paragraph indents. Blame Jan Tschichold.
Well, nearly all of my (German) books (ebooks and print) use indents. I just took some samples and couldn't find one without indents.

#19  DNSB 10-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Quote beedaddy
Well, nearly all of my (German) books (ebooks and print) use indents. I just took some samples and couldn't find one without indents.
Hmmm.... I just checked my collection of German language ebooks -- all 8 of them -- 1 had indents, the other 7 don't.

#20  dr.moebius 12-22-2018, 03:19 PM
I just bought a Tolino Shine 3 and want to try the Clara HD firmware. Are there firmware image that I can flash on an SD card? I will be happy to share the experience in the forum :-)

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register