Mobileread
Glo How can I downgrade FW of my Kobo Glo?
#1  drjd 08-01-2017, 03:51 PM
After a wi-fi upgrade to FW 4.5.9587 my Glo(non HD) is not connecting to computer through USB. I can not read/write any file on it. It is rendered practically non-modifiable. Various attempts to connect it through different cables/computers have failed. Only charging the battery is possible. The device is working normally otherwise. Restarting the device many times also does not solve the issue. Did anyone else experience this connectivity problem?

I want to revert back to my earlier FW 3.19.5761, where my life was not that miserable. Please suggest me how can I go back or solve the connectivity issue? After a full day of chagrin I'm feeling a hopeless sense that the situation is so bad as to be impossible to deal with at my level. Please help!! I'll be highly thankful.

#2  DNSB 08-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Quote drjd
After a wi-fi upgrade to FW 4.5.9587 my Glo(non HD) is not connecting to computer through USB. I can not read/write any file on it. It is rendered practically non-modifiable. Various attempts to connect it through different cables/computers have failed. Only charging the battery is possible. The device is working normally otherwise. Restarting the device many times also does not solve the issue. Did anyone else experience this connectivity problem?

I want to revert back to my earlier FW 3.19.5761, where my life was not that miserable. Please suggest me how can I go back or solve the connectivity issue? After a full day of chagrin I'm feeling a hopeless sense that the situation is so bad as to be impossible to deal with at my level. Please help!! I'll be highly thankful.
The first step is to factory reset your Glo which will wipe the internal storage. While it is factory resetting, downloading the 3.19.5761 firmware for it ( http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwares/kobo4/january2016/kobo-update-3.19.5761.zip ). Once the factory reset is finished, connect to your computer and use the Kobo desktop application to add your account, sync any Kobo purchased books and update firmware. After all this is done, close the Kobo desktop application without ejecting your Glo. Look on your Glo's internal storage and delete the following 3 items from the .kobo directory:

upgrades (directory)
KoboRoot.tgz (file)
manifest.md5sum (file)

Then copy the same 3 items from the .zip file you downloaded into the .kobo directory.

Disconnect and let the update run. You should now be on the 3.19.5761 release. Patch your Kobo including the "Block WiFi firmware upgrade" patch. If you use the Kobo desktop application and it updates your firmware, simply delete the directory and two files before ejecting your Glo. I would suggest disabling WiFi (I've never tested the block firmware upgrade patch) and not using the Kobo desktop application which will require that you download and sideload your books -- preferably using Calibre.

#3  BobC 08-02-2017, 03:35 AM
Quote DNSB

This doesn't sound like a firmware update problem; when you connect your Glo do you get the Charge/Connect prompt ? What O.S. is your computer using.

If I were you I would first of all try a simple Factory Reset. Don't have Wi-Fi switched on as you don't at this stage want to update. If you can then connect you could follow DNSBs instructions above, however if you can connect it might be worthwhile to do an update using the Kobo desktop.

As a first shot I would try a factory reset and then see if you can get your computer to connect to the Glo. Don't switch on the Wi-Fi as that will initiate an update.

BobC

#4  oren64 08-02-2017, 04:09 AM
The way I downgrade firmware is:

1) Factory reset, after process is done and you select a language, you have two ways to connect the device Wifi and PC, connect via PC.
2) Extract the firmware files to .kobo folder, disconnect and unplug the USB cable, it will install the firmware.
3) Connect again via PC and copy the patch file KoboRoot.tgz with the patch 'Block WiFi firmware upgrade' enabled to .kobo folder, disconnect and unplug the USB cable, it will patch the firmware.
4) Connect via Wifi, and register, it will check for update and say "your device is up to date"

#5  JSWolf 08-02-2017, 05:57 AM
What I suggest is a factory reset. When that is done, try the Reader with the computer. If that works, try an update to 4.5.9587 and see if that works. If that works, then proceed to load all of your content.

By trying the latest firmware again, you can check if there might be an issue with your Glo or not.

#6  drjd 08-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Finally, I was able to resurrect my Kobo Glo, thanks to all of you for your stepwise guidance and help!

The procedure I followed is as below:

1. Wrote an stock disk image file sent by davidfor on an empty SD card.
2. Opened the back cover of Kobo and replaced the card, powered on the device which asked for setup through Wifi or PC.
3. Instead of choosing the Wifi, I selected setup through PC, and connected the USB.
4. The device demanded a connection to Kobo desktop, which I ignored, and as could see the internal SD card through windows explorer now, I copied the firmware files of FW 3.19.5761 to .kobo folder, disconnected and unplugged the USB cable. The device started setup.
5. After the setup, the device again asked for a Wifi or connection to Kobo desktop. I reconnected the USB and copied the patch file KoboRoot.tgz 'Block WiFi firmware upgrade' enabled in the .kobo folder, and disconnected the USB.
6. After a few minutes, the setup was completed and asked again for Wifi. This time I connected to Wifi and after initial logins, the device prompted an 'upto date FW' status, and came back to life.

I'm grateful to all you guys!

Now I'm only wondering on the academic question, as to why the device became non-connectable through USB in the latest FW? Perhaps some strage reason, I guess.

Quote BobC
This doesn't sound like a firmware update problem; when you connect your Glo do you get the Charge/Connect prompt ? What O.S. is your computer using.

BobC
Yes, I got a Charge/Connect prompt. I use Windows 10 laptop duly updated. After connecting through USB, the Kobo prompted 'Connected and charging'. It did charge, but I could not anything connected in Windows explorer via USB. So you can't modify the FW or read/write anything on it.

After the downgrade, everything is back to normal.

#7  JSWolf 08-02-2017, 05:12 PM
And in another thread you said you got your Glo working and up to the newest firmware. I don't see the problem there.

You should give the newest firmware a try and see what you think. The problem with sticking with 3.19.x is not going to get you any new features or fixes.

#8  dmapr 08-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Quote JSWolf
And in another thread you said you got your Glo working and up to the newest firmware. I don't see the problem there.

You should give the newest firmware a try and see what you think. The problem with sticking with 3.19.x is not going to get you any new features or fixes.
Or any new bugs. My wife's Glo is still running 2.8.x and she's happy as a clam with it. I can't think of any feature added since then that she would consider a must have.

#9  drjd 08-03-2017, 03:44 AM
Quote JSWolf
Yes, the device had upgraded to FW 4.5.9587, and I was not unhappy with the upgrade, till I found that the device is not recognized by the PC through USB connection. Perhaps it was too early on my part to report the upgrade success in the forum that time.

I tried my best to establish the connection to the PC, but all in vain. As I was not able to apply patches or transfer the files to Kobo through Calibre, the device became stale for me. I again did a factory reset through Wi-Fi, but resulted in same FW and same problem. So I decided to revert back to FW 3.19.5761, which was well tried and trusted by me in the last one year.

Quote JSWolf
I would have definitely given the new FW a good try and see the new features if it was at all connectable to a PC. I actually don't understand how Kobo introduces silly bugs in the upgraded firmware, and even many bugs which were resolved earlier are reintroduced again, as I read from the other posts of the members.

I would still be glad to try the latest FW if the USB connectivity is solved.

#10  BobC 08-03-2017, 05:26 AM
Quote drjd

I would still be glad to try the latest FW if the USB connectivity is solved.
As far as USB connectivity with FW 4.5.9587 on the Glo goes I can say that that has never been a problem for me. I have a Glo and updated it successfully. That revealed a bug related to Kepubs on an external MicroSD card but not with USB connectivity.

So long as you are not using an external microSD card I'd give the upgrade another go.

BobC

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register