Mobileread
PDFRead 1.8.2 released!
#11  themoores1us 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Quote nrapallo
Glad you found it useful!

I'm always looking to tweak the internal Profiles; just to make the program that much better!

I want to produce the largest possible image proportional to the devices' screen without any resizing/zooming effects.

May I ask if the resulting LRF adequately "fills" the screen of the Sony PRS-505 or is there a bit too much (white) margin i.e. top/bottom or left/right?

The books I have been converting seem to vary since they are all scanned books and the 'person' doing the scanning doesn't take great care in making them look nice. But I would generally say that there is more white space at the top and to the right, sometimes losing a line at the bottom. I should add that I have been converting to prs505 portrait format.

Jim

#12  nrapallo 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Quote themoores1us
The books I have been converting seem to vary since they are all scanned books and the 'person' doing the scanning doesn't take great care in making them look nice. But I would generally say that there is more white space at the top and to the right, sometimes losing a line at the bottom. I should add that I have been converting to prs505 portrait format.

Jim
I would treat a big white top margin with full extents, left and right as normal, but to have some leftover white on the right may indicate there are scanning artifacts on the page interferring with the internal cropping function that removes as much of the white space as possible (and retain the same aspect ratio). You could try entering Size H: and V: as different from 583 and 753 to help squeeze the white out! In the end, if the scanned page in portrait mode is not in the same aspect ratio as the 505 screen, then it may be NORMAL to have a small amount of white on top and to the right, so nothing to fret about!

You may greatly benefit from the 'unpaper' option. If you click the word 'unpaper' on the GUI option screen, your browser will be directed to a website detailing the benefits of using 'unpaper'. It basically tries to counteract the effects of "bad" scanning errors (dark areas on the side, skewed pages, etc).

IT IS VERY TIME CONSUMING THOUGH! Several minutes per page!

To activate it, just place parameters (like '-v' for now) in the input box beside the word 'unpaper' on the GUI option screen. You should only test it on a specific range of pages numbers i.e. 1 to 5 (which may take half an hour!)

Then refine the unpaper input paraemters so as to only perform the operations you need. I've only done a few tests and know it can automatically deskew (straighten) pages, but have not done this for an entire book, let alone a 300 page pdf! (Let's see, 5 min per page x 300 page pdf = 1500 min / 60 min per hour => 25 hours or a day!)

#13  DMSH 04-09-2008, 08:46 AM
I have downloaded this programme. It looks just what I needed. I have Sony prs505, but am in the UK so can't login to buy books from official site. I purchased a book from a uk site in adobe pdf format. I tried to convert using this programm, and for a while there I thought I had done it....but the file size was only 1kb. When the conversion was running it said it couldn't determine amount of pages. When I typed amount in it seemed happy, but as each page was processed it said it was blank. What have I done wrong?

#14  nrapallo 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Quote DMSH
I have downloaded this programme. It looks just what I needed. I have Sony prs505, but am in the UK so can't login to buy books from official site. I purchased a book from a uk site in adobe pdf format. I tried to convert using this programm, and for a while there I thought I had done it....but the file size was only 1kb. When the conversion was running it said it couldn't determine amount of pages. When I typed amount in it seemed happy, but as each page was processed it said it was blank. What have I done wrong?
Just to make sure PDFRead is working properly, could you try converting any sample (non-ebook) pdf you have? Does it work for other ebooks you have?

Also, does the filename of your purchased .pdf contain "troublesome" characters, like foreign character or strange quotes?

Now with that out of the way, if the number of pages is not determinable, then there could be issues with that pdf.

Do you know if that .pdf was created with Acrobat version 8 (when loaded check 'PDF Version' in the 'Document Properties' under the File menu of the Abode viewer)? If so, there are issues with this recent version!
Please note that if you are comfortable at the command line/dos prompt, then in the bin directory of the PDFRead installed directory, there is a program called pdftk.exe . Just type the command below to get the same info as above:
Code
pdftk "c:\directory\your purchased.pdf" dump_data
In the end, if the pdf is not built properly or is encrypted or has security preventing printing/extraction, then it will not work with PDFRead.

#15  zerospinboson 04-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Creating file ... failed, error details follow.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "output.pyc", line 140, in generate_imp
File "win32com\client\__init__.pyc", line 95, in Dispatch
File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyc", line 98, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyc", line 78, in _GetGoodDispatch
com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)

Creating Mobipocket ebook ... done.

can anyone tell me what might be going wrong here?

#16  nrapallo 04-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Quote zerospinboson
Creating file ... failed, error details follow.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "output.pyc", line 140, in generate_imp
File "win32com\client\__init__.pyc", line 95, in Dispatch
File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyc", line 98, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyc", line 78, in _GetGoodDispatch
com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)

Creating Mobipocket ebook ... done.

can anyone tell me what might be going wrong here?
I see that you have an iLiad, and presume you are trying to produce a .prc file.

The only caveat here is that it needs some free software installed to produce the .opf file that is used by 'opf2mobi.exe' to produce the .prc.

Now, I looked at my documentation and I couldn't easily find reference to this. Sorry, I will make this more prominent now!
REQUIRED: You must have the eBook Publisher@Wiki » software previously installed to facilitate the conversions to .imp, .oeb and .prc.
BTW, the error you saw refers to a windows .dll interface call that failed (it was called from 'generate_imp' enroute to creating the .prc). You can install the (free) eBook Publisher software by going here. Then choose to download and install the current version ( Win_eBookPub_2.2.5.exe ).

p.s. there is a current limitation on image sizes (480 max. width) built into the 'opf2mobi.exe' program I am using. This causes larger white margins than it should. I will remove this restriction in the next release and replace 'opf2mobi' with html2mobi' to avoid the use of eBook Publisher when converting to .prc!

#17  nrapallo 04-17-2008, 01:43 AM
I have implemented some enhancements and fixed minor bugs in PDFRead 1.8.2 (see post#1 above)

Changes in this release:
Changelog [2008-04-16] 1.8.2 (by NR)

• added an 'imgdir' In Format where you can select any image in a directory and have all images (files) in that directory loaded. This is similar to an 'imglist' but creates its own list of filenames without needing a (previously created) text file.
• for .prc output, removed current limitation on image sizes (480 max. width) and now use a modified 'html2mobi.exe' program. This should no longer causes large white margins. Cybook Gen 3 users are cautioned that images larger than 480x640 may crash your ereader. Please limit the Size H: and V:!
• remembers last 'Output' directory upon startup, but you will need to edit destination filename or may overwrite previous output. To reset it, just type 'default'.

#18  donovand 04-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi There,

I'm on a Mac, and the version of 1.8 is only a windows executable. Can you please post a mac-friendly version?

Thanks!

#19  nrapallo 04-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Quote donovand
Hi There,

I'm on a Mac, and the version of 1.8 is only a windows executable. Can you please post a mac-friendly version?

Thanks!
The latest source code is up at the PDFRead Dev Hub here.

I will now add the source to post#1 for easy access for all.

The Windows GUI and Installer is NOT mac-friendly, but the source code is python which can be made to work on Mac OS X using the detailed installation instructions in the manual (index.html). For further information, read PDFRead on Mac OS X by sammykrupa

Otherwise, if you can run Windows emulation on your mac, then that would be the route to take (especially if creating .imp formats).

#20  donovand 04-19-2008, 01:56 AM
Awesome! I'll be sure and check that out. I tried version 1.7 (command line) for my prs500 last night, but it didn't seem to work properly. It made the .png's but then the .lrf was empty. Interestingly, 1.6 worked fine.

I'll give 1.8 a whirl and see if the mac issues with 1.7 have been fixed.

Is 1.8 a fork? Why does the sourceforge page still only have up to 1.7?

Great software btw.... it's the best workaround for viewing non-optimal pdfs that I've found. Keep up the good work!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/38)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register