Mobileread
Internet Archive sued by big publishers
#71  fjtorres 06-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Quote MarjaE
Where are you getting that?
:
That it is nonsense to say a monopoly cannot grant a monopoly when the constituition grants the monopoly.
Period.

The monopoly on distribution is sanction by the founding compact of the nation.
There's no handwaving involved, other than the IA pretending that wanting something entitles them to getting it.

#72  JSWolf 06-20-2020, 12:08 PM
Quote ZodWallop
I'm not a fan of either. I have never read a book by Patterson or Clancy. I really would prefer they don't turn their names into brands. But if they are going to do it, at least both seem honest. Even things like Tom Clancy's Op Center or Tom Clancy's Net Force credit the actual author*

Now V.C. Andrews, who died in 1985 but has continued to put out V.C. Andrews books, that's dishonest.

*There was a regrettable time where there was a Tom Clancy 'house name' David Michaels. The 'Tom Clancy's' brand didn't start that way and it's not that way now.
The name Franklin W. Dixon (Hardy Boys) is a house name.

#73  JSWolf 06-20-2020, 12:09 PM
Quote ZodWallop
Sorry. Can you clarify what you mean?

Tom Clancy didn't write the Tom Clancy's Op Center series, or Net Force or any of the novelizations of the Tom Clancy's video games. That is known and acknowledged.

But are you saying that he didn't write, say... the books published under his name from The Cardinal of the Kremlin onwards? If so, I don't buy it. From The Teeth of the Tiger forward, the 'co-author' is listed on the cover. Why would they do that if the books were already being ghost-written?

Same think for James Patterson. Why bother listing the co-author sometimes if all the books are ghost written anyway?
When the is no other author, James Patterson did write that book without someone else.

#74  JSWolf 06-20-2020, 02:19 PM
Quote ZodWallop
Sorry. Can you clarify what you mean?

Tom Clancy didn't write the Tom Clancy's Op Center series, or Net Force or any of the novelizations of the Tom Clancy's video games. That is known and acknowledged.

But are you saying that he didn't write, say... the books published under his name from The Cardinal of the Kremlin onwards? If so, I don't buy it. From The Teeth of the Tiger forward, the 'co-author' is listed on the cover. Why would they do that if the books were already being ghost-written?

Same think for James Patterson. Why bother listing the co-author sometimes if all the books are ghost written anyway?
There is no co-auth listed on the cover for The Teeth of the Tiger and there is no mention of Grant Blackwood anywhere in the eBook.

#75  Nate the great 06-20-2020, 04:20 PM
Quote JSWolf
There is no co-auth listed on the cover for The Teeth of the Tiger and there is no mention of Grant Blackwood anywhere in the eBook.
that one _really_ doesn't feel like Clancy wrote it

#76  ZodWallop 06-20-2020, 09:56 PM
Quote JSWolf
Sorry. Dead or Alive, not Teeth of the Tiger.

#77  SteveEisenberg 06-22-2020, 09:56 PM
Association of Research Libraries Urges End to Litigation against Internet Archive
CDL is a practice rooted in the fair use right of the US Copyright Act and recent judicial interpretations of that right. During the COVID-19 pandemic, many academic and research libraries have relied on CDL (including IA’s Open Library) to ensure academic and research continuity at a time when many physical collections have been inaccessible.

#78  pwalker8 06-23-2020, 08:06 AM
Quote SteveEisenberg
Association of Research Libraries Urges End to Litigation against Internet Archive
I was reading up on Georgia Tech's library yesterday for another reason and was a bit surprised that Georgia Tech combined libraries with Emory and most of the physical books are in a climate controlled warehouse, and everyone works from scanned imagines of the books. Having scanned books that you access online seems to be the norm for research universities. Of course, the general public can't access the books.

In the US, academia has long had some fairly extensive fair use exceptions granted it with regards to academic research. I'm sure they are worried that some judge will rule with a broad brush and open a can of worms. Non profit educational is one of the four explicit fair use exceptions.

« First  « Prev   (8/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register