Mobileread
DRAFT - A Beginner's Guide to WinCE Ebook Reader Software
#11  Faenad 06-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Okay, I tried it again. It was much slower than Mobipocket Reader at pagination, and turned pages slower as well.

My problem with adding uBook is that there are vast numbers of 7, 8, 9 year old devices out there that are still perfectly functional. uBook won't run well on them becuase of the older, weaker CPUs.
I used µBook reader on a variety of devices, encompassing various version of WM and WinCe, and it always worked well.

The only case where page turns were not instantaneous was with my Toshiba E800 with the processor on minimum speed (100Mhz instead of 400, with the processor having to manage a VGA screen).
It was very fast even with HP 6315 or 1910, which were very slow device.
Perhaps the problem only lies with Mips or SH3/SH4 processor. But these devices are very rare today, arm dominates the market since ages.

The great advantage of µBook reside in its customizability, allowing it to be adapted to every device and display size -and every taste-. I used it successfully on some weird CE devices like the Samsung Nexio tablet for example.

#12  Faenad 06-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Also, using these attached "fake dlls" will allow some otherwise incompatible windows Mobile programs to run correctly in WinCe.

You have to copy them in the window folder. You will probably want to use the ce.net-4.1 set.

With my Samsung Nexio tablet (running WinCe 4.0 I believe) I remember using successfully µBook, Tomeraider (for Wikipedia), Slovoed Dictionnary, and Acrobat Reader PPC 1.0 (as the 2.0 version was not working ).
All these programs also adapted themselves well to exotic resolution.
[zip] fakedlls-all.zip (445.7 KB, 1105 views)

#13  phenomshel 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Thank you Nate, this answered most of my questions regarding ebook software on Win CE.

#14  phenomshel 07-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Nate, I found this link: http://www.hpcmonex.net/gear/gearedhosting.html ...it says it's MS Reader for MIPS. I downloaded it for future possible use, and the link works, but of course I have nothing to test it on.

#15  Nate the great 07-05-2009, 08:20 AM
I just tried it, and it doesn't work on WinCE 2.11.

#16  phenomshel 07-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Hmmm...well that bites. Any further luck on finding that third party lit reader for MIPS?

#17  Nate the great 07-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Quote phenomshel
Hmmm...well that bites. Any further luck on finding that third party lit reader for MIPS?
Actually, it did say that that package was for WinCE 3.0, not 2.11. So the fact that I couldn't get it to work doesn't mean much.

#18  phenomshel 07-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Still doesn't help, though....we're going to need one for Win CE 5.0 and above.

#19  bjkel 07-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Found this link and thought I would put it here for anyone if they wanted to try it:

http://reeed.ru/en_prog_alreader_pda.php
Found the Home page for Alreader here
Extra backgrounds and fonts for Alreader2 can be downloaded here. Don't know about the fonts, haven't tried them but I like the extra backgrounds. For some reason I couldn't zip the 480x800 backgrounds with the others so they are here

It's for Alreader2 which is originally a Russian program for reading ebooks. I loved the windows mobile version of it. Once I get WinCe on my Smartq7 I am going to give it a go.

The bottom of the page has WinCe download mips and arm and seems to be an english version of it. For WinCE 4.2 and above.

Edit: I have since successfully tried the WinCE version on Smartq7 and can recommend it. Have added some other stuff I have found.

#20  Houndx 07-21-2009, 02:48 PM
CBR readers:

Manga MeeyaCE
Comic Reader Mobi

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register