Mobileread
Boox releasing 5 new devices
#21  franzli 09-22-2020, 03:27 AM
I'm a bit puzzled that the Note Air is actually a bit heavier than the Note 2, seems weird given the Air moniker. Also, it seems a bit lower specced - I think the Note 2 has 4GB RAM and 64 GB storage.

#22  salamanderjuice 09-22-2020, 08:51 AM
One is made out of plastic and the other aluminum. That's the weight difference. Silly name for sure.

Yep, less RAM and storage too. But it seems like maybe faster processor? They don't quite specify what which is annoying. It is also a tad cheaper, so IMO the price seems pretty fair. Thinner, sturdier device with a bit less RAM and storage but at a lower cost with a faster CPU and the latest software already.

#23  Crowriver 09-22-2020, 09:07 AM
Quote Nate the great
just a coincidence, right?
https://the-digital-reader.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/onyx-boox-note-air-1.jpg
That's not what I'm saying.

Yes there is a pitch towards using this as an "e-ink laptop" with the Boox keyboard, but as far as I can tell there's no physical connection (even though the USB port is on the correct side for this) - it relies on bluetooth. Similarly using it as a secondary display seems to rely on a wireless connection, as with the Note 2.

However most of the publicity shows the device in portrait mode.

It seems the main selling point here is designed-in flexibility, hence the auto-rotate. Also the large bezel on one side, etc. It's not marketed as primarily for landscape mode, just that this is easy and convenient as an option.

So yes, that makes the functionality distinct from other Boox devices which are designed primarily for portrait mode operation. But the Note Air is not designed mainly for landscape mode in my view.

#24  franzli 09-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Quote salamanderjuice
One is made out of plastic and the other aluminum. That's the weight difference. Silly name for sure.

Yep, less RAM and storage too. But it seems like maybe faster processor? They don't quite specify what which is annoying. It is also a tad cheaper, so IMO the price seems pretty fair. Thinner, sturdier device with a bit less RAM and storage but at a lower cost with a faster CPU and the latest software already.
Yes, it's fair that is a bit cheaper - although the difference is relatively small to the point that it seems a bit like an unnecessary overdifferentiation in a relatively small market segment, especially considering that they will apparently also release a Note 3 soon.

I'd be curious about the CPU as well. For some reason, I don't expect it to be something other than the Snapdragon 625 found in the Note 2, but hopefully someone will eventually answer that question for us.

Ps: just saw that @norweger mentioned that it's got an upgraded processor (probably from their press release), I had overlooked that post earlier.

#25  norweger 09-23-2020, 12:34 AM
Quote franzli

Ps: just saw that @norweger mentioned that it's got an upgraded processor (probably from their press release), I had overlooked that post earlier.
Yeah, I saw the whole product release and summarized it
https://www.youtube.com/c/OnyxBoox

The new RAM is faster (large documents may load at more than twice the speed), and the new CPU is faster. I think it was 30 % faster on average they said, well into the video. But I know this is what they said about the cores:

"Octa-cure CPU; Single-core is 50 % more responsive, multicore is 15 % more responsive"

I'll prolly buy a new Note. But ... they release an Air which is heavier, so I am kinda worried they'd release a Note 3 which isn't cheaper and worse than Air, but better.

#26  azayn 09-23-2020, 12:41 AM
Any info about the Poke 3? I was close to pulling the trigger on a used Poke 2 on eBay recently but glad I held off. Assuming the new Poke 3 will be running Android 10?

#27  ottischwenk 09-23-2020, 01:45 AM
Quote azayn
Any info about the Poke 3? I was close to pulling the trigger on a used Poke 2 on eBay recently but glad I held off. Assuming the new Poke 3 will be running Android 10?
Why?
Do you really believe, that a Poke 3 would be better or faster?

#28  psbernitz 09-23-2020, 06:27 AM
If they just released these two devices, how long will it take until the other registered releases, for example nova 3 will be announced? This mont next month?

#29  Morioh 09-23-2020, 07:16 AM
Why do they keep refusing to include sd cards ?

#30  JSWolf 09-23-2020, 07:18 AM
Quote norweger
Yeah, I saw the whole product release and summarized it
https://www.youtube.com/c/OnyxBoox

The new RAM is faster (large documents may load at more than twice the speed), and the new CPU is faster. I think it was 30 % faster on average they said, well into the video. But I know this is what they said about the cores:

"Octa-cure CPU; Single-core is 50 % more responsive, multicore is 15 % more responsive"

I'll prolly buy a new Note. But ... they release an Air which is heavier, so I am kinda worried they'd release a Note 3 which isn't cheaper and worse than Air, but better.
If you are going to post a Youtube video, please post the video and not just a link.

YouTube clip »

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register