Mobileread
Razr foldable phone
#61  pwalker8 11-26-2019, 07:31 AM
Quote ilovejedd
Same with my parents. I gave them Android first and they found it difficult to use so when I upgraded my iPhone, I gave them my old one. The iPhone was a lot easier for them (so much so that they both have their own iPads now). I was actually surprised they figured out how to do things on iOS that I never taught them.

Love the Razr Fold concept (and the commercial). Not so much the price. Think I'll stick to my Moto X4 for now.
Yep, that's how it went with my father. After he had the iPhone for a while, I got him and my mother an iPad pro. My mother liked to read and play card games on it, my father did his online banking, checked the weather radar and sometimes watched sports. My sister gave him an android phone, before I gave him the iPhone. He could never remember the right swipe to answer the phone.

#62  mrgrtt123 11-26-2019, 10:52 PM
I saw it on Facebook and my friends are talking about it. I feel like this foldable smartphone is way better than the Samsung foldable device.

#63  Uncle Robin 12-23-2019, 09:38 PM
No one will be buying one any time soon:

Razr comeback folds, for now

#64  Quoth 12-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Even less likely:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/12/03/escobar-fold-phone/
Why do the media call Lenovo's phone division, Motorola. The Motorola phones was only a portion of Motorola, bought by Google for mobile IP. Lenovo got little more than the badge from Google who kept all the IP.
Nokia (who never sold the badge) bought the Motorola Network division. The two parts of the Motorola semiconductors were sold off long before. Motorola started with a record player for cars (Hence Motor and -ola) and then for years only made car radios. Among the best, then did two-way commercial & industrial portable radio before doing one of the first mobile phones. Analogue then.
An Asian company licences the Nokia brand (only) for phones. They did rubber boots, paper, TVs, setboxes and computers before mobile phones. The MS Windows Phone finally died this month. They famously spent nearly $12 Billion to buy only the dying distribution, products and factories off Nokia without the brand or any IP. They closed the factories, distribution and laid off all the phone division staff.

Assume most "Hi Tech" companies are idiots compared to the local mom & pop store. They've a bad track record despite success.
Apple Pippin failed. Apple failed in 1990s and was rescued by Microsoft. The Mac was dying and Apple was saved by the iPod having iTunes record deals, not the iPod. Then the "all you can eat" data plans and operator exclusives and subsidy made the iPhone a success, not the actual HW (off the shelf parts, Samsung CPU, and bought in GUI).

No doubt someone will eventually make a success of folding phones. Ironically the first demoed was over 10 years ago using an eink type display and with several folds to make an hexagon or octagon style baton.

Edit:
It might have been a Philips proof of concept fold up phone in 2006! The prototype I saw was very clunky shape and monochrome, though the Liquavista selling point was colour. I think called Rev???? Much more clunky and symmetrical rolled up than the Polymer Vision phone (also defunct). Demoed from 2006 to 2008. Polymer Vision phone. Oddly Polymer Vision was ALSO a Philips company. Closed in 2009.
Philip's Liquavista was bought by Samsung, then sold to Amazon, who buried it. No doubt so no-one else could use it, or else they decided it was inferior to eink.

#65  Uncle Robin 12-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Quote FrustratedReader
Why do the media call Lenovo's phone division, Motorola.
Because that's its name, as its own website shows . If you're going to insist on calling the phones "Lenovo" simply because Motorola is a subsidiary of the parent Lenovo, then to be consistent, I assume you will also insist on calling all Audis and Bugattis VWs, and all Ferraris and Lamborghinis FIATs

#66  rcentros 12-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Quote FrustratedReader
Why do the media call Lenovo's phone division, Motorola.
Because Motorola is an established name in cell phones and Lenovo bought the right to use that name.

#67  theducks 12-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Quote rcentros
Because Motorola is an established name in cell phones and Lenovo bought the right to use that name.
Motorola was a established name in 2-way communications for DECADES.
Police, Taxi, Aircraft, were almost always Motorola.
CB radios started the breakaway from being leader of consumer 2-way products UNTIL the Cell phone. (and probably the Cell Towers). Bang, back to the top of the innovative list until others caught up.

#68  leebase 12-26-2019, 08:46 AM
Quote rcentros
Just an FYI...Lenovo bought the Motorola cell phone business...not just the name

#69  fjtorres 12-26-2019, 10:52 AM
Quote leebase
Just an FYI...Lenovo bought the Motorola cell phone business...not just the name
And the staff, factories, and R&D.
Google sold Lenovo the entire package, except for a bunch of patents to negotiate withthe owners of technology Android was infringing.

#70  leebase 12-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Quote fjtorres
And the staff, factories, and R&D.
Google sold Lenovo the entire package, except for a bunch of patents to negotiate withthe owners of technology Android was infringing.
Correct. Just as Lenovo had bought IBM's personal computer business years ago.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (7/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register