Mobileread
KFX issues .How to dxdelete and redownload Kindle book on degraded Kindle app
#1  ittiandro 09-19-2019, 09:54 PM
I have a number of Kindle books just downloaded from Amazon in the new KFX format which is not recognized by Calibre, even with the KFX plugin installed.

Tthe latest Epubor (Ultimate) app , too, apparently handles KFX files for PDF conversion, but in both cases we have to degrade the latest Kindle for PC app on the PC to a previous version that delivers books in the older AZW format.

To do this, we are instructed to delete all the books downloaded with the recent Kindle app uninstall it, replace it with the older version and re-download the books with it.
It sounds easy, but I am not too sure how to delete and reinstall them, because once they are deleted I don’t want to re-order and pay again.

There are two locations where the books can be deleted:
1 From the Kindle Library interface, by clicking on the book cover and/or
2. By going to the “Manage your account” page in the Tools menu. Here all the books are listed, with an option to delete and/ or deliver.

How can I safely do all this without losing the deleted books? And how do I redownload them?

For the moment I can still see and read all my books on the Cloud, even when they have been deleted from the Kindle library on the PC, but eventually I want to be able to convert these books to PDF in order to read them on my Sumatra reader, which is a lot better than Kindle reader.

The Kindle reader is very basic, with no adjustment options, , like changing the bckground and fonts .The white background is not very pleasing . It strains my eyes, especially after spending hours reading I ancient Greek tests.
Thanks

Ittiandro

#2  Sirtel 09-20-2019, 09:24 AM
You don't delete the books from your account or from any Amazon website. You just remove them from the Kindle app on your PC.

#3  ittiandro 09-20-2019, 01:40 PM
Quote Sirtel
You don't delete the books from your account or from any Amazon website. You just remove them from the Kindle app on your PC.
Ok, after some trial and error I was finally able to re-download the Kindle files on the degraded version as AZW. file.

Calibre however still refuses to decrypt the files , even with a plugin I had installed last yer and which worked.
I tried to reinstall the DeDRM 6.6 plugin. in Caliber but I get an error message
Quote ERROR: Unhandled exception: InvalidPlugin:The plugin in u’C:\Users\vivona\Downloads\New folder\DeDRM_tools_6.6.3.zip’ is invalid. It does not contain a top-level init.py fileUnquote.
T
The decryption and the PDF conversion do work with the Epubor Ultimate but it is a trial version and we only get a uselss skeleton of the PDF converted book . To get the complete PDF version we have to buy the software. I think I am stonewalled.
I wonder why Calibre doesn’t work as it did before,
Thanks
Ittiandro

#4  Sirtel 09-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Quote ittiandro
Thanks
Ittiandro
Frankly, no idea. Works for me and for many others here.

We cannot discuss the DRM removal in detail here. Ask on the Apprentice Alf's blog.

#5  Sirtel 09-20-2019, 03:12 PM
One thing came to mind: both Calibre and the Kindle for PC must be installed under the same user account, for the tools to work.

#6  DNSB 09-20-2019, 06:21 PM
Quote ittiandro
Ok, after some trial and error I was finally able to re-download the Kindle files on the degraded version as AZW. file.

Calibre however still refuses to decrypt the files , even with a plugin I had installed last yer and which worked.
I tried to reinstall the DeDRM 6.6 plugin. in Caliber but I get an error message
Quote ERROR: Unhandled exception: InvalidPlugin:The plugin in u’C:\Users\vivona\Downloads\New folder\DeDRM_tools_6.6.3.zip’ is invalid. It does not contain a top-level init.py fileUnquote.
T
The decryption and the PDF conversion do work with the Epubor Ultimate but it is a trial version and we only get a uselss skeleton of the PDF converted book . To get the complete PDF version we have to buy the software. I think I am stonewalled.
Thanks
Ittiandro
Open the DeDRM_tools_6.6.3.zip file and extract the DeDRM_calibre_plugin directory to your local hard drive. Install the DeDRM_plugin.zip contained in that directory.

As for Epubor? A ripoff of the work done by Apprentice Alf, Apprentice Harper and many others.

#7  ittiandro 09-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Quote Sirtel
Frankly, no idea. Works for me and for many others here.

We cannot discuss the DRM removal in detail here. Ask on the Apprentice Alf's blog.
Thanks
Problem solved. I degraded the Kindle PC app to the previous version 1.17 and redownloaded the books. This time they came in the AZW format which Calibre handled beautifully. The info on the Internet said that v. 1.24 was O.K. but it was not.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Ittiandro

#8  DNSB 09-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Quote ittiandro
Thanks
Problem solved. I degraded the Kindle PC app to the previous version 1.17 and redownloaded the books. This time they came in the AZW format which Calibre handled beautifully. The info on the Internet said that v. 1.24 was O.K. but it was not.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Ittiandro
If you want to use Kindle for PC 1.24, you are going to need to disable the renderer-test.exe program. See the 1st post in the Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 (and later) and KFX in calibre thread. Check the second item -- Method 2 - Disable KFX support in Kindle for PC/Mac.

Sheeshh... you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register