Mobileread
Post kindle users, what are you using?
#1  Nausicaa 09-14-2019, 02:47 AM
I switched to OLED android since the kindle was difficult to customize and the reader (even after jail breaking) was lacking. It made sense in 2009, but now battery life on phones is much bettter and the OLEDs get darker than eink at night. What devices do you use now and what is the most important factor for you? I choose the highest PPI OLED screen phones, use the volume buttons and shrink the font on the screen. This is a comparison of how much text I can fit versus the kindle, I read chapters in a few button clicks (about 13 on the kindle versus 1 on the phone). https://ibb.co/D8nT2gY
What are you using and why?

#2  Sirtel 09-14-2019, 03:08 AM
Still eink, since 2011. No wish to switch to something else. I can't read small fonts and fitting the maximum amount of text on a screen isn't a priority for me, so no phones for book reading. Give me a 7'' eink screen and I'm content.

#3  gmw 09-14-2019, 03:45 AM
There was a time when I set my screens to tiny fonts, and I coded using dense code structure with minimal white space ... but those days are long gone. Now, give me a 7" to 8" e-ink screen for reading (and a 27" screen for coding! ) with plenty of adjustment so I can increase line spacing where needed (and I finally code according to standard rather than the tastes of a young man with excellent vision ... I do miss having excellent vision ).

#4  pwalker8 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM
I use a big iPad pro, mostly because I can read it without reading glasses and can set the fonts and colors the way I like.

Preach on about the 27 inch monitor!

#5  DiapDealer 09-14-2019, 07:45 AM
Whatever tablet or phone I have on hand.

#6  theducks 09-14-2019, 09:14 AM
All my 'main' readers (started in 2010, 5" Astak), have been e-ink. The display quality has just gotten better.
Backlit is hard on my eye (now singular ) and is reserved for when needing color and/or manuals.

I find my latest, the Aura2, with its edge light, to be very easy to read on for longer periods (I still would like to ditch touch navigation. Big hands and no depth perception makes tapping precise places very hard. )

#7  Tarana 09-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Your needs would seem to me to be rare. I can't believe you can read text that small comfortably, but different strokes.

#8  ilovejedd 09-14-2019, 01:09 PM
Quote DiapDealer
Whatever tablet or phone I have on hand.
Lol, this. Some iPad+Marvin more often than not.

#9  rcentros 09-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Quote Nausicaa
What are you using and why?
Currently reading books on a Sony T2 and a Nook Glowlight Plus (6"), but the Tolinos have been getting a lot of my reading time. eInk readers are lighter and easier on my eyes.

#10  haertig 09-14-2019, 02:07 PM
What you decided to switch to, is what I decided to switch away from.

To each, his or her own.

Next »  Last »  (1/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register