Mobileread
Poor editing/research
#1  haertig 09-02-2019, 09:17 AM
Aaarrrggg! I thought everybody knew this:

"It's from an old TV show, probably even before your parents time, about a small group of castaways on a tropical island. Their boat was the Guppy." Karen said, laughing.
No!!! It was the S.S. Minnow!! James S. Peet has ruined the book! Now I'm going to have to go edit the azw3 file and replace "Guppy" with "Minnow" everywhere, so I can live in peace again. It was my favorite TV show as a kid...

#2  pdurrant 09-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Quote haertig
No!!! It was the S.S. Minnow!! James S. Peet has ruined the book! Now I'm going to have to go edit the azw3 file and replace "Guppy" with "Minnow" everywhere, so I can live in peace again. It was my favorite TV show as a kid...
Unless they named the show, just assume that this is a different TV show about castaways...

#3  astrangerhere 09-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Someone might have been hypersensitive about copyright infringement. Depending on the age/nationality of the author, they may know little about the subject except for the possibility of being sued.

#4  Dr. Drib 09-02-2019, 10:16 AM
Stephen King did something just as egregious with the Payday candy bar controversy.

#5  Catlady 09-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Is it possible that the character is the type who makes dumb mistakes, and this was deliberate?

#6  haertig 09-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Quote Catlady
Is it possible that the character is the type who makes dumb mistakes, and this was deliberate?
I don't think it was deliberate, but we'll see as the story goes on if any clues as to why show up. I'm only one chapter past the initial reference, and the author has already repeated the "mistake" once or twice.

The author has mentioned a couple of other old TV show and old movie quotes verbatim, without changing any wording. Of course, all these "old" entertainment shows are ones I remember watching first run before syndication, and when they were new releases in the movie theaters. Things like "Make it so", "Run, Forrest, run", etc. All these other quotes are more recent than those castaways on a three hour tour however.

#7  issybird 09-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Quote haertig
Things like "Make it so", "Run, Forrest, run", etc. All these other quotes are more recent than those castaways on a three hour tour however.
Huh. I associate "Make it so" with the British navy in the age of sail and fiction which antedates by quite a bit the last voyage of the Minnow.

#8  fjtorres 09-02-2019, 11:25 AM
It's a parallel universe. And Gilligan was a ditzy blonde, 60's style...

If the rest of the story is good, go with the flow.

#9  pwalker8 09-02-2019, 01:11 PM
Different people have different things that bug them. Given that I can sing the theme song from memory, then yea, that would bother me. Of course, a few typos don't bother me much and there are some posters here that will totally trash a book for one typo or spelling error.

#10  DiapDealer 09-02-2019, 01:16 PM
No way that's a mistake.

EDIT: Am I missing something? The two books by Peet I see clearly mention that portals are being opened to parallel universes. I would expect many such subtle difference from the "real" world being purposely noted.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register