Mobileread
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread
#1  pdurrant 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm addicted to buying ebooks. My TBR list currently contains about 440 ebooks. It has been two days since I last bought an ebook.

I'm hoping to get to the end of June (baby steps!) without buying any more ebooks.

If anyone else would like to join in in this attempt, please add your own target in a comment.

EDIT, June 2012:

In this thread we've come up with three simple guidelines to help us resist the purchase of too many new ebooks.
  1. Add to wish list rather than buying
  2. Only buy if on special offer and on your wish list
  3. Only exception is most recent in series by favourite authors.

EDIT: April 2014:

Some more useful ideas for resisting temptation:

EDIT: June 2019:

#2  poohbear_nc 06-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi! My name is Pooh. I am an ebook addict. I can't stop adding ebooks to my TBR list. I plan to be buried with my Kindle and a work light drop cord in my coffin - so I can have light and power to finish reading all the books I have bought/downloaded/acquired.

[memo: if I convert to Buddhism, will my ebook library follow me through my reincarnations?]

#3  Tome Keeper 06-08-2011, 01:32 PM
My name is Tome and I'm an e-book addict. I worked out that it would take me about 12 years to read my current collection, and I keep adding to it.

#4  sunnysmiles 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Im an addict of both the books and the machines . Im adding to it almost everyday .

#5  crich70 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I have to say that I'm hooked too. Though I stick mostly to the free books here, at SmashWords and at Amazon as otherwise it could become a very expensive addiction quickly. Though I don't buy everything that I find I have enough to tide me over for a long time though I still find myself downloading yet another book from time to time. I don't think there is a cure for addiction to the written word, though I'm not spending much effort in searching for one either.

#6  Pomtroll 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM
My name is Ginny aka pomtroll & I am an e-book & e-reader addict. I goal is to get no more than 10 books a month & I reached my limit yesterday.....What am I going to do?

#7  JoelArnold 06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
My name is Joel, and I am also an ebook addict. I think alcohol is cheaper...

#8  Figlilly 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM
My name is Figwit and I am an ebook buying addict too. I try to limit myself to the cheapies or the freebies where possible but now and then the inner dragon has to be fed with something a bit more expensive. I will have to live a very long life to read all the books I have collected as I have overflowing bookshelves of paper books too.

#9  ilovejedd 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Just curious, how many books do you guys have in your library?

#10  CWatkinsNash 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM
My name is Christa. I have over 900 unread ebooks that I intend to read. I have another couple of hundred that I probably will not read.

I can't say no to any Fictionwise coupon 40% or higher. I can't say no to my favorite authors. I can't say no to any even slightly enticing freebie. AllRomance eBucks rebates, Books on Board rewards, I'm too weak to fight them.

It's been two days since I last purchased. My hope is to make it a week. I don't count the freebies, even though, deep down, I know they are a part of my problem.

I think I knew I hit rock bottom when I pre-ordered the next Dresden Files book, #13, despite the fact that I've only read the first three so far. I just had to. I have all of the others... I justified it by saying it was okay because it's being released two days before my birthday so it was, like, supposed to be mine. I know I'm lying to myself.

They tell me I can stop if I really want to. Right.

Next »  Last »  (1/511)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register