Mobileread
Onyx Boox Poke2 Colour released
#11  rcentros 08-10-2020, 04:17 PM
Quote DuckieTigger
They did in the past every time Amazon wanted it. E.g. for the Voyage at 300dpi.
Quote Nate the great
Also, Sony's 7" ereader was an exclusive. And wasn't Amazon's 7" Oasis also an exclusive use of the screen (or did I forget something) ?
I stand corrected — but the 300 dpi screen wasn't exclusive for very long? As for Sony 950's 7" screen, I just assumed no one else wanted that odd shaped screen.

I still think it would be short-sighted to give Kobo or Kindle exclusive use of larger color screens.

#12  tomsem 08-10-2020, 06:06 PM
I am coming around to the idea that Amazon and Kobo will ship devices with this screen. It seems ‘good enough’ for ebooks.

A Kindle would need to retain flush screen and waterproof properties. I could see a 6” model with a price point between Paperwhite and Oasis. Not sure there would be demand for an even more expensive Oasis.

#13  Nate the great 08-10-2020, 07:19 PM
Quote tomsem
I am coming around to the idea that Amazon and Kobo will ship devices with this screen. It seems ‘good enough’ for ebooks.

A Kindle would need to retain flush screen and waterproof properties. I could see a 6” model with a price point between Paperwhite and Oasis. Not sure there would be demand for an even more expensive Oasis.
I doubt it.

If Kobo had planned to use this screen then they would have launched the new device alongside the whatever it's called that launched last month.

And if Amazon wanted to use this screen they would have been first.

#14  j.p.s 08-10-2020, 07:33 PM
Quote tomsem

Quote Nate the great
I doubt it.

If Kobo had planned to use this screen then they would have launched the new device alongside the whatever it's called that launched last month.

And if Amazon wanted to use this screen they would have been first.
Maybe they are waiting for the various yield, quantity, and quality learning curves to make progress and to see how well color e-ink sells.

#15  Nate the great 08-10-2020, 08:10 PM
Quote j.p.s
Maybe they are waiting for the various yield, quantity, and quality learning curves to make progress and to see how well color e-ink sells.
That is data you get from the factory, not from letting another company beat you to market.

#16  Lizj1 08-10-2020, 08:48 PM
Quote Nate the great
That is data you get from the factory, not from letting another company beat you to market.
I can't let that go by. It is absolutely a valid strategy to wait for yields to improve and prices (of the sceens) to go down. And the factory cannot tell you anything valid about how products containing the screens will sell.

(Having worked for a lifetime in consumer electronics manufacturing)

Liz

#17  Nate the great 08-10-2020, 09:39 PM

#18  Nate the great 08-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Quote rcentros
I wonder if the Kaleido display is currently only available in six inch screens? It seems like a 7" or 8" display would be the more viable market for color eInk readers.
Onyx has implied there is a 7.8" screen in the works.
https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/08/10/onyx-is-planning-a-7-8-nova2-color-ereader/

#19  rcentros 08-11-2020, 12:09 AM
Quote Nate the great
Onyx has implied there is a 7.8" screen in the works.
https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/08/10/onyx-is-planning-a-7-8-nova2-color-ereader/
I think what's cool about the Kaleido display is that it just "snaps" into current cases and also (apparently) can use current system boards (just going by what you wrote).

If Boox has a 7.8" version coming out, I'm guessing PocketBook will have one also to fit into the InkPad 3 case and (maybe) a 13.3" one to fit in the InkPad X case.

#20  Crowriver 08-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Good luck ordering one of these as they appear to have sold out...

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register