Mobileread
Online petition over library ebook embargo
#321  DuckieTigger 11-14-2019, 10:36 PM
Quote MGlitch
In comparing their release to the libraries statements it’s rather clear the libraries were depending on pathos based arguments while the publishers presented logos based ones. As the libraries have already tried to deceive me in this situation I’m inclined to overlook their claims in favor of those of Macmillan.
On both sides it is about money. The publisher wants to sell more and allow less borrowing during the first 8 weeks. They want to make more money, makes sense. The library has a limited budget. When they spend money, they need to make it count. They are not maximizing profit, but have to maximize benefits with a fixed amount of spending money. Also makes sense from a pure business point of view. The library could just play along and do the 1 copy for 8 weeks, then buy more. But that would be against their duty to maximize benefits as they would disadvantage the patrons that cannot jump out of line and buy the book. So for 8 weeks the only ones getting access to the book are the 4ish lucky ones first in line, and the impatient ones capable and willing to buy instead after seeing the huge wait list. These are the facts we have to play with. It really doesn't matter how the library does their cost and benefit calculation. The 8 weeks may or may not matter in the calculation, but we don't have their numbers and formulas either. So just assume the 8 weeks can make a difference. The sensible solution would be to get NO copy for 8 weeks, then buy according to demand. Everybody will be happy, nobody is disadvantaged. Maximum benefits for the budget. Except they have to take access away from those first in line. Is their benefit worth more than the disadvantage of the ones waiting? The library is between a rock and a hard place.

#322  MGlitch 11-14-2019, 11:03 PM
Except you’re neglecting that the license they get in those first 8 weeks is cheaper and perpetual. Meaning in the long run it becomes more like a physical book with the advantages of an ebook.

Those 4ish people and anyone wanting to explore the backlog of an author in years to come would be disadvantaged unless the authors backlist continued to be massively popular such as Rowling. Thanks to Overdrive we already know some authors ebooks disappear from the library.

Again I’ll point out that not providing any ebooks for those 8 weeks which are unbiased in who gets them as much as possible still serves their community better than not having any for those 8 weeks. Especially as there is no conditional requirement on the license purchased in the initial 8 weeks. Yes they are serving less than with other systems but that is still more than 0.

#323  DuckieTigger 11-14-2019, 11:17 PM
The grass always looks greener from the other side of the fence.

I am sure it will get sorted out sooner or later.

If Macmillan decides to change terms again, I do hope they keep at least the first copy perpetual. Regardless if it is bought within the first 8 weeks or not.

#324  leebase 11-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Libraries never by enough of popular books anyway. Yes, a FEW very lucky patrons get to read the popular book first thing. The rest are waiting anyway.

#325  pwalker8 11-15-2019, 07:10 AM
Quote DuckieTigger
The grass always looks greener from the other side of the fence.

I am sure it will get sorted out sooner or later.

If Macmillan decides to change terms again, I do hope they keep at least the first copy perpetual. Regardless if it is bought within the first 8 weeks or not.
Why would MacMillian do that? That would make them worse off than before.

#326  DuckieTigger 11-15-2019, 07:16 AM
Quote pwalker8
Why would MacMillian do that? That would make them worse off than before.
Why would they change thing? If they don't get desired results, they may choose to do nothing or try something else. If they get very good results, they may tweak the system even more.

#327  pwalker8 11-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Quote DuckieTigger
Why would they change thing? If they don't get desired results, they may choose to do nothing or try something else. If they get very good results, they may tweak the system even more.
Why would they give libraries a benefit and get nothing in return? It seems very unlikely to me. Compromise is each side gives a little, not one side takes while the other side gives.

« First  « Prev   (33/33)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register