Mobileread
Review: Astak 5" Easy Reader Pro
#41  theducks 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote dyosa888
So Hanlin 5 and Astak 5 is the same under one company or they just happen to have the same features? I think it is China made and I am quite wary to buy China made for I might buy an imitation. No offense coz I know they have lots of good products but I really want to be sure that what I'm getting is the real deal.
They are NOT clones of another product.
They are the SAME product with different branding and accessory kits.

OEM (re)branding is very common in electronics (sometimes there are also color and trim variations to disguise it).

#42  Spiffy 06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote Steven Lake
Spiffy, I'm a minimalist. If it doesn't need to be there, it's not. So I typically don't have more than half a dozen books on a reader at any one time. Of course, I don't actually own a portable ebook reader yet, since I do the majority of my reading via Calibre, but when I do finally get my reader (it'll be an astak), I figure to plunk a few books each onto my sd cards and just swap as needed.
Well, I guess. But considering an 8GB SD card can hold like... ten thousand e-books, that's a bit of a bass ackwards way to do it, in my opinion. If it works for you, then that's great though. Not that most people will have ten thousand ebooks, but its kind of the principle of the thing. Project Gutenberg is 32,000 titles, for example, but I bet no particular person out there would want to read more than 1000 of those.

#43  Freeshadow 06-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Quote Spiffy
Needing a PC to manage things makes it no better than iTunes.
Ouch that hurt really really badly.

On ther one hand:Using a PC as that what it basically is: a data management, creation and transition tool.

On the other: Using a piece of software i.e. iTunes* to get the devices' creators permission to actually use a device one has bought and as such already paid for. all this iCrap thingies which don't work at all until you register them with iTunes...

Well, "no better" is indeed the very last term I would have used.
In my eyes this two concepts are divided by a big honking wall with the word "Freedom" sprayed on it.
I am not one of those eagerly waiting for the red blinkenlight staring at me from my own computer. along with the most famous
Quote HAL
I fear I can't let you do that

*) which runs only under certain conditions I am not willing to fulfill:
as there are:

#44  DaleDe 06-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Quote dyosa888
Hi, I am interested in buying Astak 5 but the problem is that it is not available in my country (Philippines). Can someone help me how to get one?
I believe Astak will ship all over the world. Check http://www.astak.com.

Dale

#45  jyl 06-22-2010, 10:49 AM
can this really open chm and djvu files?

#46  Dave_S 06-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote jyl
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EZ_Reader_Pocket_PRO

There are also some alternate firmware packages that can too.

#47  DaleDe 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote jyl
It can open chm but only fairly simple ones. It chokes on large or complicated one. It does better on djvu but only has limited zoom so the text is likely to be very small. The 6" version is better due to the larger image size.

Dale

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register