Mobileread
No more List view with 5.14.3.2 ?
#1  WillW 09-20-2022, 06:13 AM
I recently installed firmware 5.14.3.2 (offline via USB) on my 10th gen Oasis, and wish I hadn't.
I can now no longer see my collections or their contents as simple lists, as previously. Now the collections are shown as boxes, 6 visible at a time, and when clicked on, the contents show as book covers, also 6 at a time. I can find no way to get round this. Am I missing something..?
I should add, the device is permanently in Aeroplane mode; I side load my books (there are a lot) from Kobo and other sources via Calibre.
I'm aware my way of doing things is best suited to ereaders other than Kindle, but I very much enjoy the look and feel of the Oasis and would prefer to hang on to it if I can get it behaving how it used to. Or have I reached the end of the line with Kindle..?

#2  jhowell 09-20-2022, 08:52 AM
In newer firmware there is now a setting to show collections in List and Grid view: Device Options, Advanced Options, Home & Library, Collections, Show all in Library. That will solve part of your problem.

However there will still be fewer things shown in List view than with older firmware. And more importantly there is no longer an option to sort List view by collections.

#3  WillW 09-20-2022, 09:08 AM
Thanks. Yes I already tried this. I then get books mixed in with collections though.
Is there no way to revert to earlier firmware version? I've seen the term "jailbreaking" come up here, though unsure quite what it means. Is that a way it could be done..?
I'm really looking to be able to choose which firmware version I use

#4  JSWolf 09-20-2022, 09:35 AM
Quote WillW
Thanks. Yes I already tried this. I then get books mixed in with collections though.
Is there no way to revert to earlier firmware version? I've seen the term "jailbreaking" come up here, though unsure quite what it means. Is that a way it could be done..?
I'm really looking to be able to choose which firmware version I use
With a Kindle, you cannot go back. You can only stay or go forward.

You would need a Kobo to be able to go back to an earlier firmware version.

#5  shamanNS 09-20-2022, 09:37 AM
No point now thinking and reading about jailbreak since you can't jailbreak that firmware version.
And firmware downgrade is possible only if your Kindle is already jailbroken.

#6  WillW 09-20-2022, 10:50 AM
Ah thanks. What a shame. The Oasis was a perfect reader for me as long as I could treat it more or less as a stand alone device, but it seems I'm to have less and less say in how I organise my books on the screen, so sadly I think I'm done with Kindle.
My experience with Kobo has not been good. All three I tried had very patchy screen lighting. Maybe they've improved. The Pocketbook Era looks extremely tempting, although way more extra functions than I need. Not sure about long term reliability of these, I see mixed reports online.
It ought to be simple - a well made basic e-reader not tied in to Amazon or anyone else, and not bloated with unnecessary extra functions. Come back Sony...

#7  CathyA 09-20-2022, 10:53 AM
Try these settings. This is as close as you can get to the old layout while using the latest firmware. It gives you back the lists, but it keeps the covers. Also, you lose the ability to see your uncollected books in the Library pages.

1. All Settings / Device Options / Advanced Options / Home & Library / Collections -- choose either Show favorites in Library or Show all in Library

2. On the Main Library Page
Filters (icon is on the left below the search box): Type = Collections
Sort/View (icon is on the right below the 3 vertical dots): Sort by = Title Ascending / View = List

3. Inside one of the collections
Sort/View: Sort by = Most Recent Descending

#8  Sirtel 09-20-2022, 10:54 AM
Quote WillW
Ah thanks. What a shame. The Oasis was a perfect reader for me as long as I could treat it more or less as a stand alone device, but it seems I'm to have less and less say in how I organise my books on the screen, so sadly I think I'm done with Kindle.
My experience with Kobo has not been good. All three I tried had very patchy screen lighting. Maybe they've improved. The Pocketbook Era looks extremely tempting, although way more extra functions than I need. Not sure about long term reliability of these, I see mixed reports online.
It ought to be simple - a well made basic e-reader not tied in to Amazon or anyone else, and not bloated with unnecessary extra functions. Come back Sony...
The Kobo Libra 2 has very good, even lighting.

#9  WillW 09-20-2022, 11:17 AM
Thank You CathyA! Much better. I can live with that. All my books are in collections so it works well.

I've saved a screenshot of your instructions (I'm old. I forget things..)

It'd be nice if we could have sub folders within collections.....

#10  JSWolf 09-20-2022, 04:50 PM
Quote Sirtel
The Kobo Libra 2 has very good, even lighting.
I'll second that. My Kobo Libra 2 has very even lighting.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register