Mobileread
2022 Kindle Basic
#1  Deobulakenyo 09-13-2022, 11:00 AM
https://www.techadvisor.com/article/1066319/the-cheapest-kindle-finally-has-usb-c.html

The new Kinde has a 300 pixels per inch (ppi) display, a higher resolution than the 167ppi of the older model. It has 16GB of storage.

Comes in two colorways: Black and Denim (Blue)

#2  Quoth 09-13-2022, 11:42 AM
About time!

The new Kindle basic has also a front light and thus is a Paperwhite 3 or later replacement now that the Paperwhite is bigger than 6"?

#3  issybird 09-13-2022, 11:47 AM
At least in the US, Amazon is killing Kobo on price with its latest two devices. Kobo used to offer the better relative value, size-wise. No more. I’d find it impossible to recommend a Kobo to an American eink noob.

#4  tomsem 09-13-2022, 12:09 PM
$119.99 (USD) if you do not want Lock screen Ads ($10 more than previous model). Oct 12 2022 release date.

USB-C, both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, Dark Mode. 158g, ~25% lighter than the (slightly larger) Paperwhite.

Presumably it supports animated page turns as well, and performance on par with the latest Paperwhite.

It'll be interesting to see how the display clarity/contrast measures up, given it is not a flush screen and might have thinner layer on top of display.

#5  Deobulakenyo 09-13-2022, 12:48 PM
Quote tomsem
$119.99 (USD) if you do not want Lock screen Ads ($10 more than previous model). Oct 12 2022 release date.

USB-C, both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, Dark Mode. 158g, ~25% lighter than the (slightly larger) Paperwhite.

Presumably it supports animated page turns as well, and performance on par with the latest Paperwhite.

It'll be interesting to see how the display clarity/contrast measures up, given it is not a flush screen and might have thinner layer on top of display.
The Kobo Clara 2E seems to be a better option if this basic kindle is 119$.

#6  issybird 09-13-2022, 01:12 PM
Quote Deobulakenyo
The Kobo Clara 2E seems to be a better option if this basic kindle is 119$.
The new basic Kindle doesn’t have waterproofing, otherwise the hardware is very similar. And not only is the Kindle just $99 if you can live with ads, Kindles go on sale, regularly and predictably. So, I can’t see it, and I”m saying that as someone who prefers Kobos. As I said, Kindle is killing Kobo on price in the US.

#7  John F 09-13-2022, 01:26 PM
Quote issybird
The new basic Kindle doesn’t have waterproofing, otherwise the hardware is very similar. And not only is the Kindle just $99 if you can live with ads, Kindles go on sale, regularly and predictably. So, I can’t see it, and I”m saying that as someone who prefers Kobos. As I said, Kindle is killing Kobo on price in the US.
I don'T think the new Kindle has the Comfortlight Pro equivalent.

#8  Quoth 09-13-2022, 02:57 PM
Most people are not going to be swayed by waterproofing or colouring the light if they are price sensitive. Most people wrongly think they need a Kindle to read ebooks because only Amazon sells them?

People here are not typical users.

#9  kyôdai 09-13-2022, 03:14 PM
Does the Kindle support Epub now?

Amazon lists "Epub" as supported file format on both the new kindle basic and the latest Paperwhite product pages.

Or do they just mean the conversion of Epubs through Send-To-Kindle? (If so, then this description is kind of misleading.)
Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 20-10-19 All-new Kindle (2022 release) The lightest and most compact Ki.png 

#10  Deskisamess 09-13-2022, 03:36 PM
Quote kyôdai
Does the Kindle support Epub now?

Amazon lists "Epub" as supported file format on both the new kindle basic and the latest Paperwhite product pages.

Or do they just mean the conversion of Epubs through Send-To-Kindle? (If so, then this description is kind of misleading.)
"Through conversion" means just what it says.

Next »  Last »  (1/16)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register