Mobileread
Why I didn't wait for the iPad killers
#11  HorridRedDog 03-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote John F
Could we get this moved to another forum. It doesn't seem like news, there is no mention of ebooks, ...
News and Commentary

Whether or not I agree with him, his commentary belongs here. Not in an iPod/iPhone/iPad (snickersnicker snicker, what a name, snicker) section.

The kind of thing that I don't want here are complaints about batteries, software, etc.

But what , or why, you like/dislike something does belong in a section named "News and Commentary".

#12  kennyc 03-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Quote LDBoblo
Thank you for sharing. It's a massive relief to know that your iPad purchase is justified. I'm sure I won't be the only one to sleep better at night knowing you have thought it through.
What SCION said x 10~!

#13  kennyc 03-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Quote leebase
I went with the iPad for it's nice large beautiful screen -- and the fact that I can get books from the Apple iBookstore, Amazon, B&N, Fictionwise -- and pretty much every other source.
Unproven at this point. The only thing known for sure is there is supposed to be an ibook store.

Quote leebase
Also -- major magazine and newspapers are already lining up to get their content in iPad specific apps.
Who? Do you have a source for this information? Specific magazines and newspapers? Where's the line start?

Quote leebase
And, since the iPad should be a fabulous eReader, and windows machines and android machines should also be great ereaders -- I went with the one that's compatible with my beloved iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

Lee
Should be? Should be compatible?

I think it might be wise to wait and see what really happens.

#14  kennyc 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote ardeegee
Why I'm not buying an iPad:

I don't want to read books on a transmissive LCD.

I want a battery life measured in weeks, not hours.

I don't want one penny of my money to go to one of the creepiest, most Orwellian companies on the face of the Earth.
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/08/iphone-developer-eul.html

Wow!

#15  Bilbo1967 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote ardeegee
Why I'm not buying an iPad:

I don't want to read books on a transmissive LCD.

I want a battery life measured in weeks, not hours.

I don't want one penny of my money to go to one of the creepiest, most Orwellian companies on the face of the Earth.
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/08/iphone-developer-eul.html
That is scary

But, given that most of the hardcore Apple apologists would apparently happily sell their soul for an unproven, expensive item which is incapable of multi-tasking and seriously compromised for input ports, I doubt they'll care.

One of them will be along soon to defend the Apple license and to call me an Apple hating so-and-so no doubt.

#16  leebase 03-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Quote kennyc
Unproven at this point. The only thing known for sure is there is supposed to be an ibook store.
There's no reason to believe otherwise. Other book apps are already available for the iPhone/iPod touch.

Quote kennyc
Who? Do you have a source for this information? Specific magazines and newspapers? Where's the line start?
The NYT was on stage at the iPad unveiling. The WSJ has confirmed they are supporting the iPad. Wired has demo'd their forthcoming iPad app. CondeNast has confirmed 5 other of their mags (GQ, Glamour) will appear with updated apps (not with the "Wired" treatment, but updated iPhone apps).

Then there are all the magazines and news papers that already have iPhone apps. Time, USA Today, Popular Science to name just a couple that are already on my iphone.

Quote kennyc
Should be? Should be compatible?
Yes, according to Jobs and demonstrated with the Facebook app and a racing game. According to the Apple website: http://www.apple.com/ipad/app-store/ 150,000 iphone apps ready to run on the iPad.

Quote kennyc
I think it might be wise to wait and see what really happens.
They showed this working at their unveiling. And not just through a power point presentation. Journalists with their hands on actual ipads -- running iPhone apps "pixel doubled".

And why would this be hard? The iPad runs the iPhone OS. You can sell your FUD to someone else, I'm not buying

Lee

#17  kennyc 03-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Yes book apps are available on iphone, but for how much longer? There is no reason to believe that they will automatically be available on the iPad. It's a brand new playing field and Apple has already crippled it in many significant ways. We will not know for sure what apps and controlled by whom will be available for it. Yes many newspapers are available even for free via calibre and straight to my Sony or Kindle or computer (and tablet if I should buy one)

I've never seen so many people so will to believe the hype and just follow along without even any real specs of formats, drm, restrictions, etc. I can only standby and give notice. If you want to race ahead, be my guest.

#18  Bremen Cole 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM
To the OP... glad you are getting it, and enjoy

Forgive the folks here who have to mock, call names and condemn because of your choice. Narrow little minds are that way. I am more interested in the potential of the MS Courier at this point, but who knows... an iPad could be in my future too....

And, as someone else said, I'm actually enjoying reading on my netbook... it's actually better than I thought (for me)....

edit: A great iPad forum that you can discuss the device in, without endless abuse is http://www.ipadforums.net/forumindex.php

#19  sianon 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote kennyc
Yes book apps are available on iphone, but for how much longer? There is no reason to believe that they will automatically be available on the iPad.
given that it will be very easy to transfer non drm epubs to the ibooks app, there wont be a problem if the other reader apps are not allowed. it really is trival to remove drm from epubs and most kindle books.

#20  SCION 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Quote sianon
given that it will be very easy to transfer non drm epubs to the ibooks app, there wont be a problem if the other reader apps are not allowed. it really is trival to remove drm from epubs and most kindle books.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register