Mobileread
MobileRead February 09 book nominations
#11  pilotbob 01-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Quote zelda_pinwheel
wikipedia says that "Contemporary literature is literature with setting generally after World War II."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_literature
So, does that pretty much mean any Sci-Fi/Fantasy type book would qualify regardless of when it was written. So something like 20k Leagues under the Sea written in 1869 would qualify? I'm so confused.

BOb

#12  JSWolf 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Let's go for anything written after the end of World War II as contemporary. That (IMHO) would do fine.

#13  wallcraft 01-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Quote pilotbob
So, if we want to go with "freely available" that would be fine with me. Although they would have to still be "free" at the end of the voting period to qualify. I'm not sure how long those 9 freebees will last.
The Random House titles are free until "11:59pm, February 28", i.e. until the end of February.

#14  JSWolf 01-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I'll nominate Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow.

Jules is a young man barely a century old. He's lived long enough to see the cure for death and the end of scarcity, to learn ten languages and compose three symphonies…and to realize his boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World. Disney World! The greatest artistic achievement of the longago twentieth century. Now in the care of a network of volunteer "adhocs" who keep the classic attractions running as they always have, enhanced with only the smallest hightech touches. Now, though, it seems the "ad hocs" are under attack. A new group has taken over the Hall of the Presidents and is replacing its venerable audioanimatronics with new, immersive directtobrain interfaces that give guests the illusion of being Washington, Lincoln, and all the others. For Jules, this is an attack on the artistic purity of Disney World itself. Worse: it appears this new group has had Jules killed. This upsets him. (It's only his fourth death and revival, after all.) Now it's war: war for the soul of the Magic Kingdom, a war of evershifting reputations, technical wizardry, and entirely unpredictable outcomes. Bursting with cutting-edge speculation and human insight, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom reads like Neal Stephenson meets Nick Hornby: a comingofage romantic comedy and a kickbutt cybernetic tour de force.

#15  lilac_jive 01-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Quote wallcraft
The Random House titles are free until "11:59pm, February 28", i.e. until the end of February.
So we should be good with them, at least.

That at a minimum will give us more to play with. And of course, we can nominate more if we find them. But this at least gives us something to start with.

#16  pilotbob 01-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I'll nominate Little Brother by Cory Doctorow.

Abstract from Doctorow's web site:
Little Brother is my first young adult novel, a story about hacker kids in San Francisco who use technology to reclaim democracy from the Department of Homeland Security after a terrorist attack and the concomitant crackdown. It was published by Tor Books on April 29, 2008.

Even though I have already read it... I am sure the discussion thread will be interesting considering the topic of the book being personal freedoms in the modern age of "The War on Terror".

BOb

#17  pilotbob 01-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Quote lilac_jive
So we should be good with them, at least.

That at a minimum will give us more to play with. And of course, we can nominate more if we find them. But this at least gives us something to start with.
I'm fine with it. I have changed the opening message.

BOb

#18  lilac_jive 01-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Quote pilotbob
I'll nominate Little Brother by Cory Doctorow.

Abstract from Doctorow's web site:
Little Brother is my first young adult novel, a story about hacker kids in San Francisco who use technology to reclaim democracy from the Department of Homeland Security after a terrorist attack and the concomitant crackdown. It was published by Tor Books on April 29, 2008.

Even though I have already read it... I am sure the discussion thread will be interesting considering the topic of the book being personal freedoms in the modern age of "The War on Terror".

BOb
Is it available on MR? If so, how? Doctorow is still alive, right?

#19  pilotbob 01-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Quote lilac_jive
Is it available on MR? If so, how? Doctorow is still alive, right?
Yes I think it is available here. If not it is available on Feedbooks and Doctorow's site. Doctorow has released ebook versions of most if not all of his books under the Creative Commons license which allows them to be shared for free.

BOb

#20  lilac_jive 01-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Quote pilotbob
Yes I think it is available here. If not it is available on Feedbooks and Doctorow's site. Doctorow has released ebook versions of most if not all of his books under the Creative Commons license which allows them to be shared for free.

BOb

Oh cool

Well I'm nominating Prague by Arthur Phillips and The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst, both part of the free Random House promo.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register