Mobileread
Sansa Clip Comparison
#11  cromag 11-01-2014, 05:50 PM
I don't listen to audiobooks, so I'm not here often, but I have a few Sansa Clips. I still use my first generation Clip at night. I play music for 45 minutes every night and have to charge it every week. If I ran it down completely it would probably last 8 or 9 days on a charge.

I also have two Zips, but I don't have a Clip Plus -- I have very specifically avoided them.

OLED displays are very vivid, but they don't last very long. The OLED display on my Creative Zen V Plus faded to black in about four years. Before that I had a generic MP3 player that had an OLED display -- it faded to black in under three years.

I still have the Zen V Plus, and it works fine, but the lack of a display makes things difficult. It's best if I just put it on random play.

I don't know for a fact that a Clip Plus would have the same problem, but I feel safe in assuming it would. I'm pretty sure it's common to OLED displays in general. I also feel pretty confident, based on my experience with the original Clip, in saying that everything else about the Plus would probably still be working fine.

Unless the price difference is pretty substantial, I'd much prefer a Zip or Sport to a Plus.

#12  Catlady 11-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Has anyone had a problem with a Clip Zip freezing up? I was listening to an audiobook yesterday, paused it for a half hour or so, and then couldn't get the thing to turn back on. Second time this has happened in the past few months. Even though I was able to resurrect it by doing a reset, I'm wondering if the thing is beginning to die. Haven't had any problems with my other Clip Zips, but this one gets the most use by far. I may have to look for another Sansa in the Black Friday sales.

#13  Ralph Sir Edward 11-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Some personal notes.

You can run alternate firmware on the Clip, Clip+, and Clip Zip.

See Rockbox. http://www.rockbox.org/

For windows people, the freeware untility GUIFormat, lets to reformat ex-fat to fat32. Win 7 lets you reformat fat32 to exfat, for any size chip (I have reformatted multiple 16 GB mSDs into exfat to back up my virtual machine under VirtualBox.) I use 64 GB mSD chips on my Clip+ (All 5 of them).

I use the Clip+. A touch screen on a tiny music player is an affection, IMHO...

#14  janjanjan 11-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I've used Clips to listen to audiobooks since the first one was available. I typically have 3 Clips in use at any given time. I know that sounds crazy, but when I'm traveling, I might not get a chance to charge the device or download books often and that way I can basically go a week or so listening to several books without doing either.

My favorite Clip is the Clip+. I don't use video, don't care about the cover art, thus don't need the color display on the Zip. The Zips I bought became defective quickly, with the audio in-jack becoming loose, meaning that my volume would disappear occasionally. I also find the controls easier to use on the +.

I don't buy audiobooks, just download using Overdrive from our library. I strongly prefer the WMA format because files are much smaller (less than half the size as MP3 files), making downloading quicker. I do need to manually select the MTP usb setting to sideload WMA-DRM files.

These little babies can be bought for less than $30, and are workhorses.

#15  Catlady 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Amazon is showing the Clip Zip as "discontinued by the manufacturer"! I poked around looking for info but I couldn't find anything; however, at least one other site (B&H Photo) also shows the Clip Zip as discontinued.

ETA: Shown as no longer available at Best Buy either.

#16  Laurablue 12-05-2014, 11:30 PM
I bought a Clip Plus from Amazon.ca. I previously used a Clip Zip but it's clip broke and then the battery life between charges started to diminish. I think I will get to like the Clip Plus just as much as the Clip Zip, but so far there are two things I prefer about the Clip Zip. The Clip Zip displays the clock time at the top of the screen, and I didn't realize how much I relied on that. Also the Clip Zip also displays the full run time of each file as well as time lapsed since I started playing it. The Clip Plus displays the elapsed time and a progress bar that fills in as time passes, but it doesn't display the total run time of the file. Not a huge detail but I kind of liked seeing the actual run time vs. a bar. Oh, both the Zip and the Clip Plus have Podcasts as a menu item, the Clip Plus lists them as a subfolder of Music (as it does with Audiobooks). There seem to be some differences to how the Clip Plus and the Clip Zip use tags, for example when I transferred an mp3 file purchased from Downpour, the Clip Zip put it in the Music folder, but the Clip Plus put it in the Audiobook folder. (I can get the Clip Zip to display Downpour files into the Audiobook folder by changing the info in iTunes, but it's nice that the Clip Plus does it by default). The Clip Plus also navigates through it's file system a little differently, with the Clip Zip I was able to go back one level at a time using the back arrow button, e.g. I could move from the current audiobook to the list of all audiobooks on the player. With the Clip Plus it looks like I have to use the Home button to get back to the Music folder, and then drill down into the Audiobooks or Podcast folder to get to my list of other available items. The other significant differences are noted in the comparison chart above, like the fact that the Clip Plus uses a mini-USB cord, unlike all my other current devices. It is an excellent little player and I feel an urge to stockpile a couple more . . . .

#17  Catlady 05-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Has anyone use a Bluetooth transmitter adapter with a Clip Zip? I'm looking at this transmitter/receiver and this transmitter at Amazon. A couple of the reviewers for the latter specifically mention it working with Clips.

I'm not very Bluetooth savvy. Any recommendations?

#18  Catlady 05-29-2015, 12:25 PM
I did pick up the Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. It seems to work pretty well. I can attach it to my Clip Zip and transmit to a Bluetooth speaker--this is how I will use it primarily.

Or I can use it as a receiver: flip a switch, attach it to a non-Bluetooth audio-in port, and pair it with my Bluetooth phone--I've been using it to stream Amazon Prime stations to my stereo that way.

It was easy to set up, and I'm happy with it.

#19  silverraven 06-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Doesn't look to be any better than the sport:
http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/clip-jam/
Clip+ and Zip appear to be discontinued
S

#20  Catlady 06-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Quote silverraven
Doesn't look to be any better than the sport:
http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/clip-jam/
Clip+ and Zip appear to be discontinued
S
Design-wise, it looks like a return to the look of Clip+. No display of album covers anymore, I guess.

I'm not especially tempted. I would have liked support for the higher-capacity cards and I would have liked Bluetooth. And I prefer seeing the album covers!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register