Mobileread
Tutorial - How to Create a MobiPocket eBook
#11  Strether 12-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Have no idea what that face is doing there. In the file, it's just a colon.

Jim

#12  Sparrow 12-24-2007, 03:03 AM
Quote Strether
Have no idea what that face is doing there. In the file, it's just a colon.
:p is the "Stick Out Tongue" smiley.

There is a "Disable Smilies in Text" option under Miscellaneous Options, if you want to use :p without invoking a smiley. :-)

#13  HarryT 12-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Quote Strether
And I added the tag that would result in the Kindle recognizing the toc of the book. Here's what that looked like after I'd finished:

<mbpagebreak/><SPAN id=BCONTENTS><A name=toc><DIV align=justify>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=center><B><FONT color=#0000ff>Table of Contents</FONT></B></DIV></A>

Can you tell from looking at that whether that seems OK?
That's fine!

I ended up with some problems.

The book didn't show up in the Kindle by name, but just as "Book". Assume I did something wrong in the making of the book and will look at that again.
Sounds as though you didn't set the title in the metadata, or you forgot to click the "Update" button after setting it.

Interestingly, despite not using the Start Reading tag, when I opened the book it took me right to the first chapter. I see that the Kindle has another menu option that I hadn't noticed called "Go to Cover" which takes you to the cover page. It did activate the toc menu item, so assume that's the result of my text editing.
Yes, that shows that you set up the table of contents guide item correctly.

Other problem, though, is that the first page of the first chapter was all centered -- all of the lines. But only that page; all others were justified. Any thoughts on that?
I can only think that you perhaps deleted something you shouldn't have when you were editing the HTML and left it centre aligned? Sorry, I've no real idea about that!

#14  Jiiri 12-24-2007, 04:48 PM
HarryT, thanks for the tutorial. I've downloaded the files as you mentioned in the other thread, and run through it with great success. I love the way the files turned out, it's exactly what I was looking for. Now to do it a bunch of times and get proficient.

One question, though. When I open any .prc file from this site in BD with the intention of implementing your changes, the photos don't show up. In your tutorial, you started with the html0 file for BD and the photos that that file referenced, but how would I go about taking a .prc file that was already built and implementing those changes after the fact, without the source files? I can open the PRC in BD, but no photos are there. Thanks in advance.

Jiiri

#15  HarryT 12-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Quote Jiiri
In your tutorial, you started with the html0 file for BD and the photos that that file referenced, but how would I go about taking a .prc file that was already built and implementing those changes after the fact, without the source files?
I don't believe there's a way of doing that, unfortunately. My tutorial is aimed at people creating books themselves from the original PG (or whatever) files.

#16  tompe 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Quote HarryT
The "Guide" items add entries to a navigation menu on MobiPocket Reader, and the CyBook Gen3, and enable navigation icons on the iLiad. The "Table of Contents" and "Start Reading" items are standard ones, but if you don't have them all that happens is that those items don't appear on the navigation menu on the Gen3, and the corresponding buttons remain disabled on the iLiad.
Did you check that you did not get two "Start Reading" in the goto menu on the Cybook? I think I managed to get duplications of one of the entry that is always there when I played around with this a couple of weeks ago.

#17  HarryT 12-26-2007, 08:45 AM
I do get two of them, yes . I don't know of any way to avoid that - do you?

#18  tompe 12-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Quote HarryT
I do get two of them, yes . I don't know of any way to avoid that - do you?
No. But as I understood it you can call the action anything you want so maybe just calling it something else might avoid some confusion. Or maybe people will get more confused having two different entries for the same thing.

#19  HarryT 12-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Quote tompe
No. But as I understood it you can call the action anything you want so maybe just calling it something else might avoid some confusion. Or maybe people will get more confused having two different entries for the same thing.
I suppose it's a question of whether it's less confusing to have two identical menu items which do the same thing, or two different menu items which do the same thing. Doesn't really matter either way.

#20  wallcraft 12-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Quote Jiiri
One question, though. When I open any .prc file from this site in BD with the intention of implementing your changes, the photos don't show up. In your tutorial, you started with the html0 file for BD and the photos that that file referenced, but how would I go about taking a .prc file that was already built and implementing those changes after the fact, without the source files? I can open the PRC in BD, but no photos are there.
One option is Mobiperl. There are several ways you could use this, and mobi2mobi may be all you need, but mobi2html should "explode" the .prc file into html and images that can then be imported into BD.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register