Mobileread
Using my daughter's Asus Transformer as an eReader...not bad at all
#11  unlawfulsoup 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Flash is utterly terrible on mobile devices. Also you can watch whatever film format you want on the iPad if you use an app like AVPlayer.

#12  wdi 01-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Do you have the tablet on power always?? I only charge at night, if the battery is getting flat, that is.
No, I only charge it when it needs it.

Also, does the Transformer give a drive letter when connected to a pc? If so, you can use Calibre's "connect to folder" function. I use it to put my various formats on my BBMini, each format in its own folder.
Thanks for the suggestion. That works on the Transformer and is easier than using explorer.

#13  wdi 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I should add though that the Device button does not appear on the toolbar when connected to the Transformer like it does when connected to the Kindle Touch.

#14  iGregory 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Quote sunnypatch
i have a asus transfomer tablet,,, can someone help me an tell me how to download books on it,,,, hopefully without usin my credit card, can i use kobo gift cards, or chapters gift cards??? someone help me please!!!!!!!
I just installed the Kobo app on my Asus Transformer. The cool part is that as soon as I put my account information in, it synced all my purchased books to it just like my Kobo. As for getting books onto it... You can use Chapters/Indigo gift cards -- they used to make you enter a credit card first, then apply the gift card, so your credit card would be bill $0.00... very dumb. Now you can just go to the gift card.

One issue I'm having, though, is that I'm running Ubuntu. On my Kobo (the standalone ereader) I can use Calibre to sync up all my rss/magazine feeds that I get. But I can't seem to get that to work on my Transformer running the Kobo app. I can dump the epub to the transformer and then import it using the Kobo app, but it would be nice if I could do it in one step.

#15  Jyster 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Its funny/sad that when the Asus Transformer came out, it was so bug ridden that it wasnt worth buying, after some time some of the bugs were fixed, now the Transformer is a pretty good tablet.

The Asus Transformer Prime just came out and it also is bug ridden and not worth buying, it has major issues with wi-fi and GPS.

They just announced not long after the Prime came out the new Transformer is coming out in the 2nd quarter.

#16  afv011 02-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Quote Jyster
Its funny/sad that when the Asus Transformer came out, it was so bug ridden that it wasnt worth buying, after some time some of the bugs were fixed, now the Transformer is a pretty good tablet.

The Asus Transformer Prime just came out and it also is bug ridden and not worth buying, it has major issues with wi-fi and GPS.

They just announced not long after the Prime came out the new Transformer is coming out in the 2nd quarter.
Apparently the problem is the design, they "forgot" to add an RF window to allow the WiFi, GPS and BT signals through; the all metallic back is nice but impractical. The next one coming out, which you pointed out, will have that fixed, plus it will have an HD (1920x1080) screen.

#17  ilovejedd 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote wdi
Getting books between apps, or from Calibre into a particular app requires more effort. You have to disconnect the USB end of the charging cable from the wall wart, and then connect it to your PC. Then use Windows Explorer (assuming not a Mac) to find the folders each app is using, and drag and drop them from the Calibre folder.
This is one issue I've never had with Android. In all the Android reader apps I've tried, I'm able to set a "watch" folder which the reader app searches for ebooks. Some apps copy the ebooks to their own folders while some just read the books directly from the "watch" folder. As for file transfers, I use File Expert which works fairly seamlessly with Windows shares. I think Linux NFS might be supported, too. Granted, I still connect via cable if I have a lot of files I need to copy. Wireless just takes too long.

Quote afv011
Apparently the problem is the design, they "forgot" to add an RF window to allow the WiFi, GPS and BT signals through; the all metallic back is nice but impractical. The next one coming out, which you pointed out, will have that fixed, plus it will have an HD (1920x1080) screen.
Lol, so that's why. I just saw the 1st gen Transformer at Office Depot yesterday and it was a thing of beauty. It seemed lighter than the iPad 2, too, although it's hard to actually tell with the security cable plugged in the back. I've been considering getting the Transformer since it was released based solely on the spec sheet but figured it might be best to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich. Now, I'm definitely convinced I'll get the new Transformer when it comes out.

#18  gstephen70 03-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote ilovejedd
This is one issue I've never had with Android. In all the Android reader apps I've tried, I'm able to set a "watch" folder which the reader app searches for ebooks. Some apps copy the ebooks to their own folders while some just read the books directly from the "watch" folder. As for file transfers, I use File Expert which works fairly seamlessly with Windows shares. I think Linux NFS might be supported, too. Granted, I still connect via cable if I have a lot of files I need to copy. Wireless just takes too long.

Lol, so that's why. I just saw the 1st gen Transformer at Office Depot yesterday and it was a thing of beauty. It seemed lighter than the iPad 2, too, although it's hard to actually tell with the security cable plugged in the back. I've been considering getting the Transformer since it was released based solely on the spec sheet but figured it might be best to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich. Now, I'm definitely convinced I'll get the new Transformer when it comes out.
Hi all. I wanted to add that I have since figured out how to optimize the settings for book reading on the Transformer. I have also upgraded all the Asus tablets to ICS. All I can say is WOW. Everything seems to move faster. I also like the additional customization features ICS offers.

Oh, and I finally broke down and bought my own. 32GB on Amazon warehouse deals "Like New" for $324 with free shipping.

#19  ilovejedd 03-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote gstephen70
Hi all. I wanted to add that I have since figured out how to optimize the settings for book reading on the Transformer. I have also upgraded all the Asus tablets to ICS. All I can say is WOW. Everything seems to move faster. I also like the additional customization features ICS offers.

Oh, and I finally broke down and bought my own. 32GB on Amazon warehouse deals "Like New" for $324 with free shipping.
Good for you. I just installed CM9 ICS on my TouchPad yesterday so I'm quite content with waiting for the new Transformer. Too bad CM9 still has battery drain issues. I'm finding I like web surfing using Chrome on Android much better than Safari on the iPad. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with using the iPad right now while the TouchPad recharges.

#20  insync44 04-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Just purchased an Asus Transformer. The Blackberry Playbook is going back to the Shop. I find the Transformer more versatile and, after upgrading to ICS, its gr8. the problem with the Blackberry, is the lack of Apps. I like it but am constricted by RIM's poor selection of apps.

You can download so many ebook Readers, video playing devices and just fun things. I purchased it for $250 (Open Box) at BB. Someone had left his 32GB SD Card in it. So I have 48GB of Storage.

Still intending to test the Sony Tablet S and Samsung Galaxy.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register