Mobileread
Freda Ebook Reader for Windows Phone 7
#11  Jim Chapman 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Quote swr2408018
I just got my Windows 7 phone, and it's great to have a way to download all my epub content for reading; thank you very much indeed!

I do seem to have a lot of trouble with the app crashing when trying to change settings (but once I've got them where I like them, that's a low-frequency operation!) If I send a logfile the next time that happens, will that be helpful?

Steve
Hi Steve,

The next version of Freda (which should appear on Marketplace in the next few days) should fix various stability issues (and also adds ways to get books onto your phone from DropBox and websites generally). Hopefully that will work better for you. But please do feel free to send me the logfile as and when you have any problems.

Thanks,

Jim

#12  swr2408018 01-21-2011, 01:08 AM
My HD7 has enough space for dozens if not hundreds of books; 20 seems like an oddly low limit.

Thanks!

Steve

#13  Jim Chapman 01-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Quote swr2408018
My HD7 has enough space for dozens if not hundreds of books; 20 seems like an oddly low limit.

Thanks!

Steve
Unless your phone is very full, it probably has room for thousands of books (book files are only 1MB or so). The 20 limit is because the 'bookshelf' display on the program will start to perform badly if you put much more than 20 items in it.

In principle I could add 'library management' functions (similar to what the WinMo 6 version of Freda has), and a 'book import/synch' process to let people load hundreds/thousands of books onto the phone. But I'm not sure how much demand there really is for this. The Windows Phone 7 design philosophy says that you 'ought to' keep your content on the cloud, not locally, and Freda supports that by integrating with DropBox, OPDS catalogs (including Calibre) and a website-interface. That might be sufficient for most users; I'm waiting to see how many people find they actually need to keep their whole library on the phone.

Thanks for using Freda,

Jim

#14  swr2408018 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM
The UI design issue makes sense. I keep a hundred or so books on my Sony reader, and their navigation system starts getting clumsy to use around there. "Collections" help, but it can still take several taps to get to the book I want.

WP7 tries to address that problem for music and video. While WP7 is pushing for cloud solutions, at the same time Microsoft's own Zune software interface that synchs music and videos when attached to a PC doesn't impose any limits, and the WP7 media player app has a metadata-driven navigation system that supports a relatively large library.

Put me down as a vote for more than 20, and thanks again for making Freda!

Steve

#15  swr2408018 03-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't have a dropbox option in chooser. (I do have a dropbox account that other apps on my phone can access, however.) Is there a setting to enable it?

Thanks! Steve

#16  swr2408018 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I upgraded to "un" Freda and found dropbox there. (Way past time to express remunerative appreciation anyway). Is that difference expected?

(Extra benefit: now I can keep 40 books active at a time ...) Steve

#17  Jim Chapman 03-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Quote swr2408018
I upgraded to "un" Freda and found dropbox there. (Way past time to express remunerative appreciation anyway). Is that difference expected?

(Extra benefit: now I can keep 40 books active at a time ...) Steve
That difference is not expected. I expect the issue was a bug with the update from version 1.7 to 1.8 (and I hope the same issue won't arise with the forthcoming update to version 1.9).

#18  jcraigen 04-11-2011, 03:28 AM
This is a great App, I used for years the MS reader on pocket pc devices with lit files. I have had the HTC HD7 for about a week and have been searching for the right ebook reader. I am using Dropbox to upload epub files to my phone and it works brilliant. With the large screen, great controls and fast loading I can now get back to some seriously neglected reading. Thanks again for a great product.

#19  swr2408018 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Same here with my HD7. I wouldn't have believed it ahead of time, but I haven't touched my Sony since I got freda on the HD7 a couple months ago. I'm nearsighted enough that I enjoy reading pretty close and without glasses, and I can go to a pretty small font, and the high resolution (it must be about 200DPI?) makes for a crisp text experience with way more contrast than the Sony, or with what I saw in a day or two of trying out an iPad a few months ago. And in retrospect, the fact that the HD7 is always in my pocket, and is charged on nearly a daily basis for other use reasons, means it's always available.

This wouldn't have been possible without freda, so my thanks, too!

#20  swr2408018 05-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I've got a book with an number of floating images. In freda they don't display at all. If there were a way to detect freda, I could have different CSS styles for the img tag such that they displayed as simple images in freda and as floating in other epub implementations.

Thanks!

Steve

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register