Mobileread
Book Creation Tutorials
#11  HarryT 04-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Ah - that would certainly explain it. Thanks!

#12  NatCh 04-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Urlp. Yeah, I'll have to check that setting on mine. (shakes head)

Thanks, JSWolf.

EDIT: Well, whaddaya know. I just checked my settings and apparently I already changed the 'paragraph' style to 'normal' at some point. Funny thing is, I don't remember doing it, but I did change a lot of things on that tab all at once, so I probably just don't specifically remember doing it.

#13  dstampe 04-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Quote JSWolf
When you go to make a Sony Reader (lrf) file, the requestor that pops up has three tabs. One of them is Styles. You'll see that the default setting for Paragraph is bold. That's why bold is not working. You cannot double bold. What you need do is change bold in the paragraph style to normal and then bold will work as you want it to. That is the worst default setting in Book Designer.

Tried that yesterday, didn't work. Still no bold (that is, several boldface words in the middle of a senstence appeared the same as all the others). I tried the regular fonts as well as several different external fonts, and there was no boldface shown either in the Connect viewer or on the reader.

#14  HarryT 04-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Having switched off "Bold" for the default paragraph style, and tried adding some "bold" words in the text, I'm not at all convinced that I can see any visible difference. There might be a very minor difference, but equally, I could be imagining it.

I certainly don't think, based on this, that one can sensibly use "bold" for emphasis on the Reader. Probably best to still to what PG often does, and use capital letters for emphasis.

#15  UncleDuke 04-10-2007, 05:58 PM
sounds simple enough. one problem for me was it was formatted for a4 and i only noticed it when i printed it on letter and the bottom of each page was a little short.

#16  HarryT 04-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Ah yes, sorry about that . Best to set the page size to "US Letter" first if you're in the US. A4 is a little longer and a little narrower than "Letter".

#17  JSWolf 04-12-2007, 12:11 AM
One thing I'd like to ask. When creating the books that are posted here in the forum, are spaces between paragraphs on or off? I hope off as that really bugs me. The only book so far that I've checked out is the Sherlock Holmes books. Been working on a few lit that I own converting them to LRF.

#18  HarryT 04-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Off, I believe. They are certainly off for the recent books I've done.

#19  RWood 04-12-2007, 09:36 AM
And I prefer a blank line between the paragraphs. However, the insert line after paragraph should be turned off for most books as it is indiscriminate in where it places the blank lines. For example, if there is an insert of verse it would put a blank line after each line of verse making the structure look absurd.

I do not feel that it is a waste of space (or trees when in a paper book) but gives the eye another visual clue that the book is moving on to another topic or thought or that another person is now speaking. An indent alone, while good, is not enough.

#20  HarryT 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM
I prefer blank lines too, but the problem with the "separate paragraphs" option in BD is that, if your book contains any short lines with hard-coded line ends - eg verse - it ends up double spaced too, which doesn't look very good. For that reason, I generally leave "separate paragraphs" turned off, and add my own blank lines wherever I deem it appropriate.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/27)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register