Mobileread
eBooks we're working on
#11  RWood 04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
If there is a need for well formed RTF books I feel it would be best served by its own forum area and keep this one for LRF books alone. This may spawn multiple forums where each is dedicated to one specific book type -- one for PDF, one for IMP, etc. This would save people having to sort through a large number of posts to find the ones for their format.

I have been absent from these forums lately as I have been involved with two projects. First, I have been savoring the reading of the TE Lawrence Seven Pillars of Wisdom and, second, I have finally started work on the Wiki expansion for Best Practices in Book Designer. I have almost finished the first and expect to finish the latter this week.

#12  NatCh 04-02-2007, 12:09 AM
You see, RWood? That's exactly the sort of thing that makes your karma so high.

#13  HarryT 04-02-2007, 02:25 AM
Quote RWood
If there is a need for well formed RTF books I feel it would be best served by its own forum area and keep this one for LRF books alone. This may spawn multiple forums where each is dedicated to one specific book type -- one for PDF, one for IMP, etc. This would save people having to sort through a large number of posts to find the ones for their format.
I believe that Alex's original idea (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong) was to keep the "device forum" upload section for device-specific books, and create another upload section elsewhere on MR for "open format" books such as RTF, etc. I don't know if this has yet been done or not.

#14  HarryT 04-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Quote friendly
And Harry I think you know about it, so you should be able to upload "Shakespeare" and maybe these: "War of the Worlds" and "Fortyone Thieves" To be found here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532
Thanks a lot.
Friedhelm
Jeez - I'm busy enough uploading my own books, without uploading other peoples', too . This forum is for anyone to upload to, not just me .

#15  astra 04-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Could you explain to me what would be a point of uploading RTFs?
There are planty of websites(such as blackmask, manybooks, baen etc.) that are professionals in this particular subject. I think that uploading only books for device-specific books would be useful. Maybe I don't understand something?

#16  HarryT 04-02-2007, 04:07 AM
Quote astra_lestat
Well, to be fair, most of the PG books are plain text, and a nicely formatted RTF with proper formatting is certainly a "value added" thing compared with the PG original. The only question is where it should be uploaded to - this forum or (because it's not device-specific) a general "any device" upload forum.

#17  astra 04-02-2007, 04:20 AM
What does PG stand for?

I thought that the sites mentioned above have RTFs. Sorry, my mistake. I didn't really download there anything because I am reading fantasy only, which is copyright material

#18  HarryT 04-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Sorry. PG = "Project Gutenberg"; the biggest source of public domain books. See:

http://www.gutenberg.org

Sites like "manybooks" get most of their stuff from PG, but they only have a tiny fraction of what PG offers.

#19  astra 04-02-2007, 04:55 AM
Quote HarryT
Sorry. PG = "Project Gutenberg"; the biggest source of public domain books. See:

http://www.gutenberg.org

Sites like "manybooks" get most of their stuff from PG, but they only have a tiny fraction of what PG offers.
Thanks

#20  friendly 04-03-2007, 03:08 AM
Quote astra_lestat
There are planty of websites(such as blackmask, manybooks, baen etc.) that are professionals in this particular subject. I think that uploading only books for device-specific books would be useful. Maybe I don't understand something?
I completely agree with Harry. There are more things between two covers than the mentioned websites offer as RTFs. And believe it or don't believe it, there are even some strange people using a strange language (German) who don't get nicely formatted RTFs from the above mentioned pages, but from the German section of "Gutenberg" and those files are text files and not properly formatted RTFs.
Friedhlem

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/106)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register