Mobileread
[CC] Can the Start Wireless Device Connection be Started on a Headless Server?
#1  hakan42 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Quote DoctorOhh
Did you update to the newest version? If not do it soon, you'll be impressed.
So, can the Content Server be enabled on a headless server by now? Always having the GUI running on my low-energy-consuming Linux server is not feasible

#2  itimpi 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM
As far as I know it has always been possible to do this! I think that you might have to install a frame buffer handler but that should be the limit.

#3  hakan42 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Quote itimpi
As far as I know it has always been possible to do this! I think that you might have to install a frame buffer handler but that should be the limit.
Yep, the "frame buffer" part is causing me problems. Basically, I could not view the GUI to click on the "Content Server" menu entry. Maybe I'll try later with Xvnc and a local X server on my laptop...

#4  kovidgoyal 08-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Quote hakan42
Yep, the "frame buffer" part is causing me problems. Basically, I could not view the GUI to click on the "Content Server" menu entry. Maybe I'll try later with Xvnc and a local X server on my laptop...
calibre-server --with-library=/path/to/library

#5  hakan42 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
calibre-server --with-library=/path/to/library
Sorry, wrong question on my part... I meant the "Start wireless device connection", which seems to be needed for the Android Calibre Companion application. Is there a command line option for that? I don't have access to my calibre server at the moment, so I can't easily check myself

#6  DoctorOhh 08-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Moderator Notice
Moved posts to their own thread.

#7  kovidgoyal 08-20-2013, 11:02 PM
The wireless device driver is just that a device driver that allows you to use a wireless device from th GUI as though it were connected physically, as such it depends on the GUI. But, CC is able to connect to the content server separately as well.

#8  DoctorOhh 08-20-2013, 11:49 PM
@hakan42 Even without the GUI, Calibre Companion does allow you to queue multiple books for download via the content server. A nice feature I haven't seen in a mobile app before.

#9  PeterT 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM
I think the issue is more HOW to start the driver without the calibre GUI to effect the required changes.

#10  DoctorOhh 08-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Quote PeterT
I think the issue is more HOW to start the driver without the calibre GUI to effect the required changes.
I thought Kovid answered that question, you can't. Unless I'm missing something It wouldn't make sense, why enable a device if you still need the GUI to select the books and Send to device.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register