Mobileread
The Ultimate Kobo Tips & Tricks Thread
#131  jackastor 06-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Quote mfpreach
Anyone know how to add a cover to a book we add (ie. One converted from Calibre?)
if you look up the isbn of the book and using edit metadata in calibre you can download the discription and cover page from the isbn data base and when you add to kobo it will all go over!

good luck

#132  PeterT 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM
You can also use one of the Calibre plugins "Extract ISBN" to scan the ebooks looking for ISBNs for you.

#133  Psyke 06-22-2011, 04:27 AM
new trick shared by mdclements, kobo dev, although for a different reason

rename your sideloaded epub books so that they have .kepub.epub as the extention. This will open up KEPUB only options to sideloaded books, such as dictionary and highlights at the current expense of losing your book cover. This also works on at least the wifi version as well for dictionary support.

Also, with Tamings discovery of the Fonts additions (create a fonts directory on the root of your kobo touch's directory and populated it with fonts). This will also become available to sideloaded using the above trick. This however does not work on the wifi.

Thanks mdclements and Taming!

update : word of warning from mdclements:

Quote mdclements
I would strongly discourage you from renaming your ePubs. Kepub-only functionality will most likely not work on your renamed sideloaded books.
so as with any hack, use at your own risk!

#134  beautifulsoup 07-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Lookee at what I just found on YouTube: a video tutorial about adding fonts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU7JpaKlyMc&feature=feedu

#135  octoberdana 07-04-2011, 05:27 PM
I have 4 free kobo books through the kobo app for iPad. Now that I've purchased a touch the Books don't show up on it. Any suggestions?

#136  Psyke 07-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote octoberdana
I have 4 free kobo books through the kobo app for iPad. Now that I've purchased a touch the Books don't show up on it. Any suggestions?
were they books that you downloaded, or books that came with the app; if they came with app, they are app specific and you can't download them to another device. this was the same for the original PC desktop app where there would be four "free" books included, but wouldn't download. you would have to go to the kobo store, find the books, re-download them, and then they would become available on other devices. a bit annoying.

If they were books that you had chosen yourself, then you should have them available. go to the kobo store and make sure they are showing up in the I'm reading section. If they are there, try deleting them from there and re-select them...

#137  Dimwit 07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to clean the Touch screen? And with what?

#138  Toastedpine 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Quote Dimwit
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to clean the Touch screen? And with what?
I have the official Kobo touch case, which has pockets on the cover. I tuck a small eyeglass microfiber clothe there which does the trick in most cases.

For extreme situations, I take it home and use an LCD screen cleaner. Spray the cloth lightly and use that on the screen. I got stuck in the rain once, and the touch seems at least lightly resistant to a little water, but I don't really want to try my luck.

#139  Robert West 08-12-2011, 11:01 PM
I’m trying to find help with detailed instructions for getting a word processing document from my Macintosh into my Kobo. I’m new to using e-readers because I was just given a Kobo Touch for my birthday. I want to be able to read a document on my Kobo that I created with Pages on my iMac. Is that possible?

#140  Joe563 08-12-2011, 11:19 PM
One of the supported file formats for the Touch is RTF so save your document as a RTF document and then simply drag and drop it onto the Touch. To organize your documents you can create directories on the Touch.

ETA: I see that Pages for the Mac supports the creation of EPUB files. Since that is the preferred format for the Touch you should investigate that alternative.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (14/38)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register