Mobileread
Recent purchasers: How's your battery life?
#1  corona 05-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Or your Kobo's battery life, anyway...

There are a few threads here about bad battery performance and charging that doesn't seem adequate. I'm curious if it might be due to a batch of bad batteries in initial shipments.

My guess is that if you're not having battery issues with your Kobo, you're probably not paying a lot of attention to those threads, or posting to them.

So if you've gotten a Kobo recently, are you having problems with:

-the battery running down quickly
-the red battery-charged light not coming on at all
-or coming on really quickly, when the battery's not fully charged?

#2  Bismar 05-21-2010, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure, the first time i charged it, the red light came on after an hour, but since then the red charged light never came back on again, even after an 8 hour charge.

It's possible its stopping itself from charging when the battery is not low, but thats just a guess.

#3  Pookeysgirl 05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm on my second reader (I took the first one back for battery issues) and the one I have now seems to work. In the last 2 weeks I've charged it once, which was last Saturday and I still have almost half the battery left. I've been reading everyday. Maybe you got a defective reader like me?

#4  Duiker 05-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote Pookeysgirl
I'm on my second reader (I took the first one back for battery issues) and the one I have now seems to work. In the last 2 weeks I've charged it once, which was last Saturday and I still have almost half the battery left. I've been reading everyday. Maybe you got a defective reader like me?
Hmmm, interesting that you are getting decent performance now. i just assumed that everyone was getting poor battery performance. Now I feel like I have to exchange.

#5  BongoBong 05-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote Duiker
Hmmm, interesting that you are getting decent performance now. i just assumed that everyone was getting poor battery performance. Now I feel like I have to exchange.
hmmmm me as well. Any chance of making this thread a poll with options like getting less then 1000 pages, 1000-2000 pages. 2000-4000 pages 4000+ or something like that?

Also as far as returns go do you just bring it back to an indigo (I preordered online) and is there a time limit for when you would have to bring it in?

#6  Ghoda 05-21-2010, 02:27 PM
I am getting mine exchanged because the RTC is bad (doesn't update date/time when off) but other than that the unit is functioning as promised - being a developer myself I can empathize with the Kobo team and what they are going through right now - initial releases are never fun . Overall I am quite happy with the unit and the speed at which they are rumored to be releasing the first update. I have been recommending the Kobo to friends (although to the less tech-savvy ones I am cautioning to wait for the firmware update )

#7  corona 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote Ghoda
...being a developer myself I can empathize with the Kobo team and what they are going through right now - initial releases are never fun . Overall I am quite happy with the unit and the speed at which they are rumored to be releasing the first update.
Although I might exchange mine on the basis of these battery issues, generally I really like the Kobo reader, and I appreciate what I see as some new thinking that went into it, that I imagine entailed some creativity and taking some risks.

I like it that it's not just another gadget with wi-fi, MP3, and an overwhelming array of controls and functions. (I almost said "deliberately overwhelming.") I like it that it's simple. I actually like the way it looks. I very much like the effort that went into the aesthetics of the user interface. I like it that it's Canadian(!).

Quote BongoBong
Any chance of making this thread a poll with options like getting less then 1000 pages, 1000-2000 pages. 2000-4000 pages 4000+ or something like that?
I would have done that but I couldn't figure out how! A question about the behaviour of the red light might be good too.

#8  ava0775 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
I got mine May 7, a black one if that matters. It's still on its first charge, with a half battery still remaining according to the indicator.

I would suspect I am in the less than 1000 turns category. I don't really count and I am still getting the hang of the numbering. I'm still on my first book and the "chapters" so far seem to average 100 pages. Is there a way to check how many page turns for sure?

I read at the "large" setting, obviously resulting in more page turns than the smaller settings.

The date and time are exact.

I do power down the unit each time I am finished reading (except putting it down for a minor interruption) leaving the cover showing, not the text.

My light has never really come on, except very briefly when I power up, first red as I push the power button then blue for a moment. I can't even remember when the light is supposed to appear.

I really am thrilled with my Kobo. I have to wonder if I'm not their exact target market though. I can see where others with more experience with the ebook format might be less than satisfied with this device.

#9  Pookeysgirl 05-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote BongoBong
hmmmm me as well. Any chance of making this thread a poll with options like getting less then 1000 pages, 1000-2000 pages. 2000-4000 pages 4000+ or something like that?

Also as far as returns go do you just bring it back to an indigo (I preordered online) and is there a time limit for when you would have to bring it in?
The last time I charged it was when I started reading The Lost Symbol and I'm on the last chapter but I don't know how many pages that is.

Yes, you can take it back to any indigo/chapters and get a new one. Just make sure they have them in stock before you go.

#10  draj 05-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi,

I just returned my kobo because of the battery problem. I did not want to wait to exchange it as I was told by someone I spoke to at kobo that I would have to wait at least five weeks because Chapters in Canada is currently sold out of the readers. If I waited, I could only exchange the kobo and if the battery and other problems continued I would not be able to return it for a refund.

I charged my reader four times, each time the battery ran down quickly and I averaged 500-700 page turns. The red light also came on very quickly after plugging in the reader each time (even after I did two resets).

Anyways, I am now looking at buying a sony prs-300 as I loved the experience of reading on the kobo but could never finish the book as the battery kept dying!

PS I returned the reader in Vancouver (Robson store) where I am visiting family and even though I told the person doing the refund about the battery problem, they repackaged the reader and immediately put out a sign on Robson that they had a reader in stock! Someone is going to buy the reader and find they have a dud or think 500 page turns is okay when it not what was advertised.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register