Mobileread
Hilton, James: Good-bye, Mr. Chips. v1. 19 May 07
#1  HarryT 05-19-2007, 10:32 AM
A very short book indeed, but a timeless classic (at least in the UK - is it known in the US?).

A dieing schoolmaster remembers his life teaching at an English boys' school. This is a real "tear jerker"; I can never read it with a dry eye.

Enjoy!

#2  Dr. Drib 05-19-2007, 10:57 AM
I read this years ago and really liked it. In fact, I was thinking of writing a parody of it, entitled "Goodbye, Mr. Chocolate Chips," a story about a frustrated child who loves cookies, but they are denied him by his mother. Then, as he grows up, he becomes increasingly obsessed with cookies and starts his own cookie business. However, because he was cheated as a child, he starts to DECREASE the amount of chocolate chips in his chocolate chip cookies. This leads to the downfall of his empire...IS THIS AT ALL INTERESTING??!!! HUH??!!! I'M NOT CRAZY AND I LOVE MY MOTHER!!! help....

(Oops: Your Chapter 9 starts in the middle of the page.)

#3  HarryT 05-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Must be because chapter 8 is so short! Thanks - I've re-uploaded. You might want to re-download if you got the original. I've not changed the version number - it's too minor a change.

#4  Dr. Drib 05-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Another great classic added to my growing collection. I now have two folders: "Not on Sony," and "On Sony."

Thanks, Harry.

Don

#5  HarryT 05-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for pointing out the problem! There seems to be a minimum "distance" in the text in BD between titles, below which you don't get an automatic page break with a new title; looks as though that was the situation here. I've added manual page breaks at the start of all the chapters.

#6  UncleDuke 05-19-2007, 12:22 PM
film yes, book no.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register