Mobileread
Winter Reading
#1  BookCat 11-26-2019, 02:22 AM
What books do you read over the winter? Do you prefer to snuggle up with a wintry Dickens, or read about sun-drenched beaches?

What are your favourite winter reads?

#2  drofgnal 11-26-2019, 06:32 AM
I don't have seasonal preferences in reading.

#3  issybird 11-26-2019, 07:05 AM
In winter, my mix is more toward non-fiction and heavier reading, as the weather is not only conducive to hunkering down, it pretty much demands it. My reading goals tend to reflect this, which is why they can become unstuck in the summer, when not only does lighter fare appeal, more of my "reading" is done via audiobooks. My mix there is for lighter books overall, too, especially the books I listen to while I'm swimming.

#4  pwalker8 11-26-2019, 08:50 AM
The seasonal part of my reading tends to be oriented towards book release schedules rather than weather. We are past the October releases, so generally I tend to either read books that have fallen down a bit in the "to be read" list or re-read books. No particular style of book, since I normally have several fiction and non-fiction books going at a time depending on my moods.

#5  pdurrant 11-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Quote drofgnal
I don't have seasonal preferences in reading.
I don't think I have a seasonal preference. But nearly ten years of reading is posted here at MobileRead, if anyone fancies doing an analysis!

#6  Apache 11-26-2019, 12:49 PM
I do not have seasonal or Holiday reading preferences.
Apache

#7  Dazrin 11-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Quote pdurrant
I don't think I have a seasonal preference. But nearly ten years of reading is posted here at MobileRead, if anyone fancies doing an analysis!
Mine is all in a spreadsheet, so if anyone sees a trend here let me know.

Maybe a slight early year preference for YA books. But I'm not very consistent with those tags so I'm skeptical. I am consistent in tagging specific genres but not the YA/Childrens/Middle Grade labels.
Seasonal Trends.png 

#8  Deskisamess 11-26-2019, 02:14 PM
I may be more prone to read holiday stories during the winter, but generally, I've no seasonal reading preferences.

My day to day preferences are more guided by time of day. I read mostly "harmless" fiction before sleep. For example, reading about Chinese prisons, written by a Chinese Poet who spent time in them, is not helpful for restful sleep. I need the full light of day for such books.

#9  mewmartigan 11-26-2019, 07:51 PM
I don't have seasonal habits as others here have said, but I will try and read The Lord of the Rings around Christmas at least every other year.

#10  pwalker8 11-26-2019, 11:09 PM
Quote mewmartigan
I don't have seasonal habits as others here have said, but I will try and read The Lord of the Rings around Christmas at least every other year.
I do like to listen to A Christmas Carol each year. I try to alternate between Jim Dale's version and Tim Curry's version. Both are excellent.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register