Mobileread
epub: why multiple HTML?
#1  pavelh 10-10-2019, 07:20 AM
Hi,
probably a very simple answer to this, I hope

I wonder why are texts within epub divided into several HTML files? Is it only because of chapters? If you want to apply some automatic functions to the text, it is always easier to have just a single file if possible, so why creating this multi-html structure?

Thanks in advance for explaining this to me
Best!

P

#2  pdurrant 10-10-2019, 08:02 AM
It's so that ePub reading software can render the HTML within limited resources, as it only needs to render part of the book (one HTML file) at a time.

#3  pavelh 10-10-2019, 09:09 AM
That was something that crossed my mind also but knowing nothing about the HW could not really evaluate the validity of the assumption.
Thank you for your kind reply!
Best
P

#4  JSWolf 10-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Quote pavelh
That was something that crossed my mind also but knowing nothing about the HW could not really evaluate the validity of the assumption.
Thank you for your kind reply!
Best
P
When ADE was made for the Sony Reader PRS-505, they had to make it work/fit the existing hardware. So it was decided to make each HTML file no bigger then a specific size (I don't know what that size is offhand). that means that ePub works with limited hardware.

#5  exaltedwombat 10-10-2019, 10:52 AM
It's about chapters. It's about not making the reader cope with over-large files.

Sigil lets you perform e.g. search/replace operations on 'Current File', 'All HTML Files' or 'Selected HTML Files'. Doesn't the editor you use?

Also, it's a great deal easier to locate a code error in a block of 500 lines rather than one of 5000!

#6  elchamaco 10-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Quote JSWolf
When ADE was made for the Sony Reader PRS-505, they had to make it work/fit the existing hardware. So it was decided to make each HTML file no bigger then a specific size (I don't know what that size is offhand). that means that ePub works with limited hardware.
300 Kb Images and Html files.

#7  BetterRed 10-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Sigil and calibre epub editors have merge and split features. If I get book split on arbitrary boundaries (usually around 240kb) I merge it into one and split on chapter boundaries. Some ereaders, e.g calibre's 4.1 ebook-reader and the one I use on my phone (can't remember its name - it was abandoned soon after I got it), have features to skip to start/end/next/previous sections (chapters).

BR

#8  JSWolf 10-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Quote BetterRed
Sigil and calibre epub editors have merge and split features. If I get book split on arbitrary boundaries (usually around 240kb) I merge it into one and split on chapter boundaries. Some ereaders, e.g calibre's 4.1 ebook-reader and the one I use on my phone (can't remember its name - it was abandoned soon after I got it), have features to skip to start/end/next/previous sections (chapters).

BR
Discworld books do not have chapters. But I find whoever is making the eBooks is rather lazy. What I do is edit the ePub to make the HTML split at a section break. That's a lot more sensible then breaking as some arbitrary place.

#9  exaltedwombat 10-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Quote JSWolf
Discworld books do not have chapters. But I find whoever is making the eBooks is rather lazy. What I do is edit the ePub to make the HTML split at a section break. That's a lot more sensible then breaking as some arbitrary place.
I just opened up a couple of Pratchetts. You're right, no chapters. But paragraphs styled as 'spacebreak' followed by a no-indent line - that in some books is even styled 'chapterOpenerText'! So he knew where the breaks SHOULD have come...

#10  theducks 10-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Even IF...
Performance improves if you use smaller chunks.

Chapters are just a Logical place to break.
Note: some viewers will reopen at the (top of) last file viewed. If that is a huge, single file... Yep! the top
Sigil and Calibre searches can work across these files so there is no need to work on a Single file. Both, also allow you to reorder files by dragging to the new position. No cut and paste if you are just moving a 'chapter'

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register