Mobileread
Old Masters of Science Fiction
#121  Dr. Drib 04-16-2020, 08:33 AM
Quote Userunfriendly
I can't believe no one has mentioned Schmitz!!!

Science fictionalized fantasy, but for pure enjoyment, he's the best.

Telzy Amberdon is incredibly memorable, so is Pausert!

I can't believe no one has mentioned The Witches of Karres, until I did!

Seriously, this is an incredibly entertaining book. I think it was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Novel, but did not win.

Read it or be forever deprived of never having been entertained!

#122  pwalker8 04-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Quote lostcowboy
www.gutenberg.org Science Fiction You can find a lot of good writers there.
A lot of the writers from the early days are out of copyright because they fell under the older copyright laws and never bothered to renew back when the initial renewal term came up. Doc Smith is a good example of this. Obviously, anyone pre-Campbell is out of copyright if the work came out pre-1929.

I went through a phase where I really like Leigh Brackett and specifically her Stark series. The series started as a group of short stories in the 40's and ended with three novels written in the early 70's. Baen collected them all together in one bundle. I think you can still buy the bundle.

Brackett and her husband, Edmond Hamilton were very talented writers in the classic pulp mode. Kind of odd that Brackett is likely better known of the two these days, but then again, she was also an excellent script writer in Hollywood. working on such classics as the Big Sleep, Rio Bravo and of course, The Empire Strikes Back.

#123  Uncle Robin 04-16-2020, 09:12 AM
Quote Dr. Drib
Is it possible there's some unintentional excess negation in that phrase?

#124  Apache 04-16-2020, 11:28 AM
Quote Dr. Drib
I can't believe no one has mentioned The Witches of Karres, until I did!

Seriously, this is an incredibly entertaining book. I think it was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Novel, but did not win.

I have read it many times over the years and will continue to do so. I also still have it in paper.
Apache

#125  pwalker8 04-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Quote Apache
I have read it many times over the years and will continue to do so. I also still have it in paper.
Apache
Same here.

#126  Apache 04-17-2020, 01:36 PM
Quote pwalker8
Same here.
It's one I would take to court to read the next time I get jury duty. Our county does not allow cell phones or any other electronic devices past the elevators that lead to the courtrooms.
Apache

« First  « Prev   (13/13)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register