Mobileread
Liaden fans, help me out
#701  Victoria 06-17-2020, 01:08 PM
Quote gbm
Ok mark that calendar:

Trader's Leap (23) (Liaden Universe®) Hardcover – December 1, 2020
by Sharon Lee (Author), Steve Miller (Author)

Amazon B&N

bernie

P.S.

I checked Kobo but not listed yet.
Great news!! Yahoo. I just finished Accepting the Lance, and felt a bit bereft that it was all over. I’ve stayed away from this thread, to avoid spoilers - I guess I should have had more faith.

#702  CRussel 06-17-2020, 01:26 PM
Oh, no, we're not over yet!

Also, I recommend the non-canon chapters that were originally going to be Accepting the Lance until the authors had to toss 70,000+ words out the door and start over. They're being posted, a chapter at a time as "The Wrong Lance", up on the Splinter Universe. Some interesting scenes, for sure. Some of this did make it back into Accepting the Lance, but others, sadly, did not. However, reading these sections has pushed me to do a re-read, mostly Audible, of Lance. Just to make sure I keep track of which is canon and which is NOT.

#703  Victoria 06-17-2020, 01:44 PM
Quote Xanthe
Questions for everyone, while we've all got time to kill:
  1. Who is your favorite Liaden Universe character?
  2. Who is your least favorite character?
  3. Which character has the most future story potential?
  4. Who is the most under-utilized character?
  5. Which character would you like to see emphasized in a future book?

You can expand on your answers to whatever degree you want.
Fun questions, and interesting replies!

1. It’s very hard to pick a favourite. Daav resonates deeply, because we’ve been through so much with him. But I really enjoy Miri & Val Con too. And I love the humour that Shan brings. I find him laugh out loud funny. Kamele has developed into a strong character as well. Then there’s Theo, Pat Rin, Clarence..... lot’s of strong characters.

2. Ella ben Suzan - I really dislike her. The Moonhawk backstories have felt out of place to me too. Priscilla could have the same strength and temple backstory without the prior lives. They didn’t ring true to me.

3. I’d say the next generation too - Syl Vor, Padi, Kezzi and Quinn. I also think Jethri’s story has much more potential.

4. I’d say Nova’s character is stronger than the part she has been given to play. And we’ve only had a peek at Luken as well.

5. I enjoyed Accepting the Lance very much. But even with DOI dismantled, there are other threads begging for a resolution. So I hope we hear more about this current generation. And I’m looking forward to more of Jethri’s story.

#704  Victoria 06-17-2020, 02:24 PM
Quote CRussel
Oh, no, we're not over yet!

Also, I recommend the non-canon chapters that were originally going to be Accepting the Lance until the authors had to toss 70,000+ words out the door and start over. They're being posted, a chapter at a time as "The Wrong Lance", up on the Splinter Universe. Some interesting scenes, for sure. Some of this did make it back into Accepting the Lance, but others, sadly, did not. However, reading these sections has pushed me to do a re-read, mostly Audible, of Lance. Just to make sure I keep track of which is canon and which is NOT.
Oh, thanks Charlie! I’ll check it out - what fun.

#705  JSWolf 06-26-2020, 02:57 PM
I'm looking for an up-to-date list of the books in publication order including the shorts (but not the compilations, the individual shots) and the same list in chronological order. The problem is most lists are either outdated or do not include the shorts.

#706  CRussel 06-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Quote JSWolf
Do you have a link to the published order (including the shorts)?
Short answer? No. Longer Answer: The novels, in written order, are:
  1. Agent of Change
  2. Conflict of Honors
  3. Carpe Diem
  4. Plan B
  5. Local Custom
  6. Scout’s Progress
  7. I Dare
  8. Balance of Trade
  9. Crystal Soldier
  10. Crystal Dragon
  11. Fledgling
  12. Saltation
  13. Mouse and Dragon
  14. Ghost Ship
  15. Dragon Ship
  16. Necessity’s Child
  17. Trade Secret
  18. Dragon in Exile
  19. Alliance of Equals
  20. The Gathering Edge
  21. Neogenesis
  22. Accepting the Lance
  23. Trader’s Leap (December, 2020)

For the short stories, the easiest solution is the four volumes of the Liaden Universe Constellation, which combines them all, in roughly the order they were published. I'm not sure anyone has completely interspersed them that way (and I'm not sure it would be relevant, even if they had!) The authors are rather prolific and have often written shorter works that they self-published to pay the bills without a whole lot of concern about where they fit in the overall timeline.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter WHERE you jump in to the Liaden Universe. There are some fairly obvious places, depending on your preferences, but it's a UNIVERSE, not a story line or a sequential series. Some like to start with Agent of Change because it's free, the first book published, and a rip-roaring tale; others like to dip their toes in Local Custom or Balance of Trade because they aren't really part of the core Korval sequence (and Balance of Trade has always been standalone, though they did, finally, write a sequel to it.) And still others like to start with Fledgling , the beginning of the Theo Watley sequence because it's free and it's a bit YA.

The only thing I would say is to avoid, the first time through, reading them in actual chronological order. The Crystal Soldier/Crystal Dragon pair are the first chronologically, but not really the best place to start, IMNSHO.

Books that can comfortably be read without any prior reading in the Liaden Universe include:
Finally, there's a fan Wiki which includes a bit more sequential information here. It includes the publication order of the chapbooks that contain the various shorter works. But if you buy the chapbooks, you'll be spending rather more than if you buy the four Constellation books.

#707  JSWolf 06-26-2020, 03:54 PM
Thanks much for the list and link.

Do the Constellation books say where the stories fit? The Dresden files short collections say where the shorts fit.

#708  CRussel 06-26-2020, 07:00 PM
Some might? There are brief author intros to the individual stories, but really, they're designed to be standalone. Often they're things like a story about the Taxi Driver and what happens to her. But the taxi driver doesn't actually appear in one of the novels (until MUCH later, and then only peripherally.) She is a significant character in one of the short stories, and then, when everyone said "Hey, what happened to the taxi driver" enough times, they wrote another story about her. So, if you read the Constellation books in order, I think she's in Constellation 2 and Constellation 3. So you don't need to worry about getting them backwards. And really, you don't need to worry anyway, because each story is standalone. None of the shorter works are dependent on the novels.

#709  CRussel 07-06-2020, 03:27 PM
Quote CRussel
Heads Up: Chapter 6 of The Wrong Lance is up on the Splinter Universe.

#710  Xanthe 07-09-2020, 08:40 PM
Thanks!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (71/73)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register