Mobileread
U.S. Public Domain titles added Jan 1st 2021
#1  Fbone 01-02-2021, 07:02 PM
Books published in 1925 are now PD in US. The Great Gatsby, Mrs Dalloway and In Our Time are some of them.

Curated list: https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2021/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/recaps/the-great-gatsby-and-all-your-favorite-works-from-1925-enter-the-public-domain/ar-BB1cpdCa?ocid=uxbndlbing

#2  Uncle Robin 01-02-2021, 07:17 PM
Thanks for explaining this xkcd

#3  GA Russell 01-03-2021, 12:57 AM
Thanks Fbone!

#4  hildea 01-03-2021, 04:37 AM
I'm looking forward to this reimagining of Gatsby!

#5  drofgnal 01-03-2021, 05:37 AM
Thanks, I was wondering when someone would post what's coming into Public Domain. An interesting story on It's a Wonderful Life on the Duke.EDU link.

#6  pwalker8 01-03-2021, 07:49 AM
Interesting link. The great tragedy of the super long copyright is so much has already been lost. There really should be an exclusion to copyright for restoration and preservation. The what if section of what would be PD if we were still under the copyright law prior to 1978 is interesting. I find it very, very sad that the great grand daughter of Fitzgerald was the one commenting on the Great Gatsby finally going into PD.

#7  SleepyBob 01-04-2021, 10:17 AM
It actually happened.

Edit: For some reason, I was thinking that these were the first new works to begin entering PD in the US. Apparently, that started two years age, though.

#8  binaryhermit 01-04-2021, 11:36 AM
I'm about a third of the way through "The Great Gatsby" (after IIRC having read it in HS almost 20 years ago) and all I can think about is that it's massively overrated

#9  Luffy 01-08-2021, 12:28 AM
Quote binaryhermit
I'm about a third of the way through "The Great Gatsby" (after IIRC having read it in HS almost 20 years ago) and all I can think about is that it's massively overrated
I too used have that opinion, but after reading some analysis on it, it shows why many people still talk about TGG.

If we implement a feminist approach, we'd see how Jordan, who is an independent, and in full 1920 regalia, is described in unflattering ways. Every single woman who disrespects patriarchy comes unstuck. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but there are layers to this short book.

#10  pwalker8 01-08-2021, 07:12 AM
Quote Luffy
I too used have that opinion, but after reading some analysis on it, it shows why many people still talk about TGG.

If we implement a feminist approach, we'd see how Jordan, who is an independent, and in full 1920 regalia, is described in unflattering ways. Every single woman who disrespects patriarchy comes unstuck. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but there are layers to this short book.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I suspect the real reason that the Great Gatsby is a "classic" is because the writing style appeals to literary types and since it's been around so long, many, many literary critics have projected their world views on it.

Personally, the book never did anything for me. I really liked the Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck though, so different strokes for different folks.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register