Mobileread
Kobo's Best Indie Cover Contest
#1  gmw 12-31-2019, 08:21 PM
The link to the 10 finalists here.

Shows you what I know. My favourite of the finalists is coming equal last, while the current leader looks (to me) both generic and inappropriate to the genre and blurb.

#2  VydorScope 01-02-2020, 07:45 AM
Sadly, these things tend to be more popularity contests then about the actual covers.

#3  JSWolf 01-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Quote VydorScope
Sadly, these things tend to be more popularity contests then about the actual covers.
On Goidreads when they do the best cover poll, it is mostly a popularity contest. Twilight got 1st place and it's cover is garbage. It's someone holding his/her hand out with an apple. That's it It's that bad.

In this case, it's not as bad. What I think is the third best cover is in first place.

#4  gmw 01-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Or that good. I like the Twilight covers - the whole series. They stand out. They have mystery. They merely suggest romance rather than leaping up and clawing your eyes out with Ts & As. They don't particularly say YA, but still, I think they have rather more class than most of that genre.

There are a couple of books in the Kobo poll that I think are conceptually very good, but fail in their execution. Leaves me wondering if they went with too early a draft rather than pushing on to really refine it.

#5  JSWolf 01-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Quote gmw
Or that good. I like the Twilight covers - the whole series. They stand out. They have mystery. They merely suggest romance rather than leaping up and clawing your eyes out with Ts & As. They don't particularly say YA, but still, I think they have rather more class than most of that genre.

There are a couple of books in the Kobo poll that I think are conceptually very good, but fail in their execution. Leaves me wondering if they went with too early a draft rather than pushing on to really refine it.
IMHO, Twilight covers = really ugly

#6  ZodWallop 01-02-2020, 03:53 PM
Quote JSWolf
On Goidreads when they do the best cover poll, it is mostly a popularity contest. Twilight got 1st place and it's cover is garbage.
I'm going to disagree. What's between the covers might be garbage. But the covers for the entire Twilight series were great. Some of the best book covers in years.

The covers are all similar with black, white and red. But they aren't same-y. They match the themes of the books. They are very well done.

#7  JSWolf 01-02-2020, 06:30 PM
Quote ZodWallop
I'm going to disagree. What's between the covers might be garbage. But the covers for the entire Twilight series were great. Some of the best book covers in years.

The covers are all similar with black, white and red. But they aren't same-y. They match the themes of the books. They are very well done.
That may be, but as stand-alone covers, they are absolute garbage. They got voted for on Goodreads due to all the girls who like sparkly vampires. When you are voting for the best cover(s), you should be looking at just the cover and no voting based on the book. It's not supposed to be a popularity contest. It's supposed to be about the best covers, not some of the worst covers aka Twilight series.

#8  gmw 01-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Quote JSWolf
That may be, but as stand-alone covers, they are absolute garbage. They got voted for on Goodreads due to all the girls who like sparkly vampires. When you are voting for the best cover(s), you should be looking at just the cover and no voting based on the book. It's not supposed to be a popularity contest. It's supposed to be about the best covers, not some of the worst covers aka Twilight series.
Highlight mine. Possibly you didn't meant that clause quite the way it sounds. The best book cover should not only be about the cover, but how well that cover sells the content. So the cover must be appropriate to the content. If it turns the right audience away, and/or attracts the wrong audience, then even the most beautiful cover is not doing its job properly.

Thus the main fault I can give the Twilight covers is that they don't clearly say YA, not that that seems to hurt their sales at all.

Mind you, the requirement that a cover sells the content does make the competitions like the linked Kobo one problematic, since most voters have probably not read all contestants and so can't judge whether the cover is doing its job properly.

#9  JSWolf 01-02-2020, 07:51 PM
Quote gmw
Highlight mine. Possibly you didn't meant that clause quite the way it sounds. The best book cover should not only be about the cover, but how well that cover sells the content. So the cover must be appropriate to the content. If it turns the right audience away, and/or attracts the wrong audience, then even the most beautiful cover is not doing its job properly.

Thus the main fault I can give the Twilight covers is that they don't clearly say YA, not that that seems to hurt their sales at all.

Mind you, the requirement that a cover sells the content does make the competitions like the linked Kobo one problematic, since most voters have probably not read all contestants and so can't judge whether the cover is doing its job properly.
A cover contest is not about how the cover matches the story. The words are irrelevant. You vote for the best looking cover. The words are voted for when you are voting for the best books.

#10  gmw 01-02-2020, 09:29 PM
Quote JSWolf
A cover contest is not about how the cover matches the story. The words are irrelevant. You vote for the best looking cover. The words are voted for when you are voting for the best books.
Whatever the original intention of the poll (if it had one beyond being some end of year filler), you may well be right as to the result, especially if a significant proportion of the voters think the same as you do. But that does make it a truly pointless exercise.

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register