Mobileread
New Leaf Vote for November 2019 • Books like Onions: Layers
#11  Catlady 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Quote Dazrin
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall doesn't have any links so here are a couple to the PCML here at MR:
Kindle
Epub
PCML???

I Googled it, and still have no clue what it means in this context.

#12  issybird 10-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Patricia Clark Memorial Library, i.e. the MobileRead library of uploaded public domain books.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=132

#13  CRussel 10-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Quote issybird
And The Tenant of Wildfell Hall it is. Thanks for the links, Dazrin!
Thanks for the links, Dazrin, but I confess I'll be listening to this one, not reading it. Though I might do some switching back and forth, since I have the WhisperSync'd eBook. But with Nadia May and Frederick Davidson narrating, that's clearly my preferred choice.

#14  Catlady 10-10-2019, 06:12 PM
Quote issybird
Patricia Clark Memorial Library, i.e. the MobileRead library of uploaded public domain books.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=132
Duh. I've never seen the MR library referred to by initials before.

#15  Bookworm_Girl 10-20-2019, 05:55 PM
I'm really looking forward to reading this book. I bought the Oxford World's Classics edition for $5.38 in Kindle format. I find the annotations to be especially helpful in understanding the time period and various references to other literary sources. Penguin and Modern Library editions for Kindle are also available, but they were significantly more expensive.

#16  Bookpossum 10-21-2019, 08:56 AM
I'm intending starting the Brontë shortly, but while on holiday, I read Once Upon a River, and enjoyed it very much.

#17  issybird 10-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Quote Bookpossum
but while on holiday, I read Once Upon a River, and enjoyed it very much.
I'm in the middle of listening to this now. I'm enjoying it, and it's perfect for long sleepless nights, but I do think it's a little longwinded. More than once I've found myself thinking, "Just get on with it!"

#18  Bookpossum 10-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Ah well, I enjoyed the length because of the various interweaving stories. And I loved the look at Victorian photography. Rather harder to do than digital photography!

#19  Bookworm_Girl 10-21-2019, 10:49 PM
I was delightfully surprised at the incorporation of the real-life Victorian photographer, Henry Taunt, as a character. What I liked most about the book was its slow meandering journey like the path of a river and the weaving of stories within stories. It does get mixed reviews on Goodreads though due to its slow pacing. I can understand why.

#20  issybird 11-04-2019, 03:36 PM
I'm switching back and forth between listening to and reading Wildfell Hall and in one of those situations that recur with prolific narrators, I keep wondering why Richard Sharpe has shown up. Frederick Davidson's voice for Gilbert Markham is very similar to his voice for Sharpe in Bernard Cornwall's eponymous series.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register