Mobileread
battery drain
#1  franklekens 02-18-2020, 03:43 AM
Over the past week I've noticed the battery of my Forma draining faster than it used to do. I'm puzzled as to why. The last time it happened (seemingly overnight since yesterday) I had hardly even used the backlight, and it goes into standby after 10 minutes.

But just now I noticed it was synchronizing, yet this took forever (so I aborted it). In addition, it said it had synchronized only about two hours ago. So I'm wondering: I read here that Kobo was down recently. Might it be that it's still hard to reach -- and that this makes the software try to synchronize all the time, and fail, and drain the battery that way?

I know that batterywise it's better to keep wifi switched off and only turn it on manually when you actually need it. Guess I'll go back to doing that and seeing if it helps. (I'd got into the habit of just leaving wifi on all the time, just out of laziness...)

#2  Shopaholic 02-18-2020, 08:09 AM
That’s what I went through while trying to sync. It didn’t seem to connect on my Libra & drained the battery while trying. But after playing with my Clara & Aura One they could connect, in seconds as per usual. Any books downloaded just fine on them but not my Libra.

I had to resort to signing out & signing back in again in order to get it back to normal. It was a PITA because I had to reorganize all of my books but at least it’s working.

#3  compurandom 02-19-2020, 01:16 AM
I've noticed that sometimes the sync process gets stuck and it drains the battery. I usually turn off the wifi when I don't want it to sync.

#4  dow 02-21-2020, 10:36 AM
Quote compurandom
I usually turn off the wifi when I don't want it to sync.
Me too. As a matter of fact, I pretty much only turn wifi on when I've bought a new book or if I've read on here that there's a firmware update available.

#5  JSWolf 02-21-2020, 11:46 AM
I'll do one better. I never turn on the WiFi.

#6  dow 02-21-2020, 11:53 AM
Quote JSWolf
I'll do one better. I never turn on the WiFi.
Okay, you win.

#7  HLS 02-21-2020, 02:18 PM
I noticed this on my Oasis. I went threw several models before getting a good one with normal battery life. After a few months, I noticed the power discharging at a higher rate. Makes my battery OCD kick in. At least the battery is still better than my previous models. I was charging 4x a week now I can go almost 2 weeks between charges on my Oasis. I hardly use it though so I still do not see how Amazon calculates weeks of battery life. On my KOBO I can easily go a month or more between charges and I use my kobos 10x more than the Oasis

#8  hobnail 02-21-2020, 03:33 PM
Mine was suddenly going dead as well. It would also sometimes lock up and require a hard restart so now I keep my Kobo's wifi off all the time as well. I'm in the habit of buying my books from amazon and then converting them to epub in calibre. I also manually download and install the firmware updates.

#9  franklekens 02-22-2020, 12:14 PM
Thanks everybody. I see that over the past week my battery life also has improved drastically when I turn Wifi off. I still use it to download books from the shop, but not leaving it on all the time definitely seems to be a good idea.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register