Mobileread
Where to buy Kobo?
#1  JJ Johnson 02-14-2020, 05:41 PM
Hi all. This is my first post to the forums. I just ordered a Libra H20 directly from Kobo. Ordered on Monday, the expected delivery date is this coming Tuesday.

I didn't realize that it would ship from Canada. Walmart was my other choice and it could have been had (according to their web site) in two days. I also don't relish returning something to Canada if it becomes necessary. Did I screw up?

#2  boomboxnation 02-15-2020, 08:52 AM
Maybe? I specifically ordered from Walmart just because the shipping information is so vague on the Kobo site. It took me a while to even figure out that I could order from Walmart.

I am pretty happy with my Libra though! I thought it would be better for one-handed reading, and it somewhat is. (I am recovering from a broken neck and left non-dominant wrist)

#3  petercreasey 02-15-2020, 09:31 AM
It would have been better probably to have bought it from Walmart; however, if it doesn't give you any trouble, where you bought it shouldn't matter.

#4  hobnail 02-15-2020, 12:14 PM
I didn't know anything about Walmart and Kobos and also ordered mine from Kobo in Canada. I didn't send it back but if I'd bought it from the local Walmart I would have taken it back. The buttons feel sort of mushy, and it has the uneven lighting along the right edge where the buttons are, fortunately I like the light turned down low so I don't see that.

#5  Alan_Bernardo 02-15-2020, 02:00 PM
Quote petercreasey
It would have been better probably to have bought it from Walmart; however, if it doesn't give you any trouble, where you bought it shouldn't matter.
It does when you buy from Walmart. I don't care that the item should be the same, coming from the same manufacturer. Stuff I've purchased from Walmart, there's always something wrong with it, or something is missing, or something doesn't work as advertised, or it's lacking instructions altogether. It's second-rate, as if they're selling refurbished items, three times over, and pawning them off as the real stuff, untouched.

I long ago stopped dealing with Walmart. They cater to the poor, and the poor are typically short-changed.

#6  binaryhermit 02-15-2020, 02:48 PM
Allegedly it's not unheard of for Walmart* to get a "special" (read as "inferior") model due to their insistence on cheap at all costs.

#7  JJ Johnson 02-15-2020, 06:09 PM
Highly unlikely for a product not being carried on their shelves and being sold at MSRP.

#8  JSWolf 02-15-2020, 06:15 PM
I ordered my H2O from Chapters in Canada and it arrived in 4 or 5 days.

#9  dordale 02-16-2020, 01:54 AM
Like John, I ordered from Chapters Indigo in Canada. (My Aura One was shipped to California). It took a little while to arrive, but I did order over Christmas, so that was expected. A major benefit of ordering from Chapters Indigo is that my Aura One ended up being quite a bit less expensive due to the exchange rate adjustment between CAD and USD.

#10  petercreasey 02-16-2020, 10:10 AM
Walmart's Kobos come fully packaged by Kobo. There is no way anyone could have deemed them to be of lesser quality than any other fully packaged ereaders.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register