Mobileread
New Tolino Vision, Page and Epos
#1  rcentros 10-16-2019, 08:15 AM
The whole line now updated to Kobo clones (Forma, Libra, Clara and (probably) Aura 2 but with 8GB instead of 4GB)).

New Tolino lineup...

Page 2 (looks to be a Aura 2 "clone" but with 8GB instead of 4GB).
Shine 3 (already out, is a Clara "clone").
Vision 5 (Kobo Libra "clone").
Epos2 (Kobo Forma "clone").

I should say these are Kobo hardware clones. It looks they all still use Tolino firmware.

https://mytolino.com/

#2  Wearever 10-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the link rcentros . I guess that pretty much confirms that the wedge shape at least at the higher end devices, are here to stay. Although Kobo buying Tolino probably had a lot to do with their new shape. They do look exactly like Kobo's. I wonder if the prices also match ?

#3  bonnerable 10-17-2019, 04:59 AM
Prices seem comparable. The vision 5 is around 179 eur while libra is 170 usd. So it's android on kobo hardware? I just bought a libra the other day. Now i want the vision 5 if it's android and rootable.

#4  rcentros 10-17-2019, 05:15 AM
Quote bonnerable
Prices seem comparable. The vision 5 is around 179 eur while libra is 170 usd. So it's android on kobo hardware? I just bought a libra the other day. Now i want the vision 5 if it's android and rootable.
It's Android but I don't know for sure if the Vision 5 is rootable. Apparently the Shine 3 (Clara-like hardware) is rootable, so I'm guessing the Vision 5 is (or will be) also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqB2Pglmdfw

#5  bonnerable 10-17-2019, 07:42 AM
It seems Tolino is more well stocked with case options from the get go than Kobo. The dual color cases here looks nice vision 5 cases.

#6  Wearever 10-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Quote bonnerable
It seems Tolino is more well stocked with case options from the get go than Kobo. The dual color cases here looks nice vision 5 cases.
They have a nice color selection too.

#7  SusanReads 10-22-2019, 05:22 AM
I wonder if the screen lighting is exactly the same as their Kobo counterparts?

Since I returned the Libra because of the uneven lighting (the screen looked overall 'busy' to me) I'm curious if Tolino's Vision 5 is exactly the same except for the software.

#8  ottischwenk 10-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Quote rcentros
It's Android but I don't know for sure if the Vision 5 is rootable. Apparently the Shine 3 (Clara-like hardware) is rootable, so I'm guessing the Vision 5 is (or will be) also.
Android of Vision 5 and Epos 2 Firmware Version 13.1 can be opened.
In German

#9  rcentros 10-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Quote SusanReads
Since I returned the Libra because of the uneven lighting (the screen looked overall 'busy' to me) I'm curious if Tolino's Vision 5 is exactly the same except for the software.
I'm guessing they're both made in the same factory so it's probably just a matter of the "luck of the draw" with either a Kobo or Tolino. I doubt that there's any better quality control for Kobo's Tolino division. I haven't seen a Reader with the LEDs mounted in the side (instead of the top or bottom) but I'm beginning to wonder if the design of these models is inherently flawed. It seems like a lot of folks are complaining about uneven lighting on the Forma, Libra and the Kindle Oasis models. Maybe the warm light LEDs makes getting the screen lighting even more difficult? (It didn't seem like folks had this complaint about the first two Oasis models.)

#10  rcentros 10-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Quote ottischwenk
Android of Vision 5 and Epos 2 Firmware Version 13.1 can be opened.
In German
Thanks for the link. So the newest Tolinos are running 13.1? I'm guessing if that's the case the older Tolinos will soon be getting updates. I wonder what's different?

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register