Mobileread
Libra Kobo Libra H2O - first reviews
#1  mathil 09-04-2019, 01:16 AM
https://youtu.be/CgZd3zbC0Aw

Some info from the video:

- Forma-shaped, 7" screen, 300ppi, 8GB
- Available in black and white
- Price around 180 euros (like the Aura H2O)
- New firmware with a different look (as you can see in the video - the smaller header will please many people), with a new function similar to the 'page preview' the Kindle has when navigating inside a book
- PDF reading and navigation appears improved, with page preview function

#2  MGlitch 09-04-2019, 01:41 AM
The header doesn’t seem so different but some of those menus do.

I wish this video was done a bit better, for much of it the view is zoomed way out. There’s so much empty space that tells us nothing about what the device looks like when being used. Heck a good third of the screen is taken up by the area showing the box.

It looks like they made the page turn buttons two unique buttons rather than the one long bar that the Forma has, and moving the power button to a recessed spot on the back is an interesting choice. I think the front might have been a better option but at least it should solve some people’s issues with the power button on the Forma.

Not something I’d pick up since I have the Forma. But it seems a pretty solid device for the price.

#3  tourneur 09-04-2019, 01:49 AM
Had a look at the specs and technically it is basically a 7" Forma. One hardware difference is a sunken screen instead of a flush one. Would have loved to have upgraded from my Clara but was really hoping for something with a flush screen. Bummer.

#4  tourneur 09-04-2019, 02:02 AM
1680x1264 pixels, 300 dpi
NXP i.MX 6SLL processor
Single core Cortex-A9 1GHz
512MB ram
8GB storage
1200mAh battery
IPX8
Micro-usb port
802.11bgn-wifi
144x159x7,8mm
192 grams

#5  MGlitch 09-04-2019, 02:07 AM
The depressed screen likely means a return to infrared sensors which might make some people happy since the screen may be slightly sharper.

#6  meeera 09-04-2019, 02:20 AM
Anything about the substrate?

#7  davidfor 09-04-2019, 02:38 AM
Quote tourneur
NXP i.MX 6SLL processor
Single core Cortex-A9 1GHz
Where does the second line come from? It wasn't shown on the specs page in the video. And I would have thought it was a completely different processor.

#8  tourneur 09-04-2019, 02:42 AM
Quote davidfor
Where does the second line come from? It wasn't shown on the specs page in the video. And I would have thought it was a completely different processor.
Source (Dutch): https://tweakers.net/nieuws/156802/kobo-brengt-waterdichte-7-inch-e-reader-libra-h2o-uit-voor-180-euro.html

#9  tourneur 09-04-2019, 02:43 AM
Kobo release video: https://youtu.be/7xegTvqzNws

#10  Tony1988 09-04-2019, 02:54 AM
Quote tourneur
Had a look at the specs and technically it is basically a 7" Forma. One hardware difference is a sunken screen instead of a flush one. Would have loved to have upgraded from my Clara but was really hoping for something with a flush screen. Bummer.
The only surprising thing is that it's a mini forma, other than that it offers nothing new to the ereader world as I expected. I mean truthfully there really isn't much they can do, expect maybe change the form factor. Out of the three new readers from Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Kobo, I think the nicest of the three is surprisingly the Nook. Which sadly I think many are scared to purchase because the company has changed hands, plus the more difficult library usage of the device.

Next »  Last »  (1/63)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register