Mobileread
Poetry Poe, Edgar Allan: The Raven, Illustrated by Gustav Dore. June 2007
#1  Roy White 06-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Here's another Masterpiece from Poe and Dore. The Illustrations come through fairly well on the reader. There are 27 Beautiful drawings? Woodcuts? I'm not sure... I wish I could get a bit more contrast on them somehow... But its still a pretty good version of the famous illustrated version of The Raven Illustrated by Dore. (I found these illustrations on a Gutenberg version of The Raven downloaded as an HTML file so I know these are in the Public Domain.)

Enjoy!

Roy
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
[lrf] The Raven Illustrated by G Dore.lrf (4.36 MB, 1210 views)

#2  TadW 06-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks Roy, I always liked Poe's gloomy stories. This one seems to be one of them

#3  RWood 06-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Quote TadW
Thanks Roy, I always liked Poe's gloomy stories. This one seems to be one of them
One of them? This is the apex!

Going to high school in Baltimore you had to know Poe and Mencken.

#4  Roy White 06-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Actually this is more of a lament than a short story... You can argue at length about what this poem means.
I think its a guy slowly going insane over the death of his love Lenore as he faces his own worldview which denies the possibility of an afterlife. Therefore he will see her... 'Nevermore' So despair and insanity stalk him..

(I'm sure many of you disagree)

#5  Roy White 07-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Or maybe he just has indigestion....

#6  MMascaro 07-04-2007, 12:20 PM
It may be "an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!"

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register